Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > More Altamont Pass action

Date: 12/12/12 10:44
More Altamont Pass action
Author: TedS-P

Inspired by Walstib's recent thread titled Altamont Afternoons, a comment made in his post refers to how the line is good for a couple trains during the daylight hours. Being a recent transplant to the Tri Valley area has now made Altamont the closest location for me to shoot trains without going too far out of the way, and thus far I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of action to be had while being out there.

BTW, Walstib was that you who I ran into at the west end of the pass on the day the Washington Central Fs came rolling through? If so, thanks for all your tips and information, I greatly appreciate it.

Photo 1) The highly discussed light engine move bringing two F units down to Watsonville on 11/9 as seen approaching Altamont summit from the east. Note you can see the SP right of way on the leftmost side of the photo.

Photo 2) For my big homie Evan Werkema, cause he likes Santa Fe... This photo was taken adjacent to Midway Siding, I'm guessing once upon a time there was a derailment here because the boxcar showed slight damage as though it had been in a demo derby and was allowed to stay at this location instead of being retrieved or scrapped.

Photo 3) After meeting the last of 4 daily WB Altamont Commuter Express (ACE) trains at the siding of Altamont, this short baretable train rolls towards Lathrop at the west switch of Midway last Friday 12/7. With all of N. CAs recent rains, you can see how nicely the hills are starting to turn green.

Ted S-P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/12 12:21 by TedS-P.

Date: 12/12/12 11:06
Re: More Altamont Pass action
Author: hogantunnel

Very nice, Ted. Haven't been to Altamont in many years. Photo 3 is fine, I always loved driving that road to the summit over looking Tracy and the valley.

Date: 12/12/12 11:42
Author: AlcoRSD15

Hi Ted, Excellent photos. Always worth getting photos on Altamont if you can catch a train there.
-- Eric Blasko

Date: 12/12/12 12:28
Author: dougd

Great photos--thanks!
Perhaps (if we are lucky) in a few years every bare piece of ground (esp beside the rails) will have a wind turbine on it, and then these wonderful looking towers will be able to produce as much as 10% of our total need--WOW think about that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/12 12:29 by dougd.

Date: 12/12/12 16:22
Author: Evan_Werkema

TedS-P Wrote:

> Photo 2) For my big homie Evan Werkema, cause he
> likes Santa Fe... This photo was taken adjacent to
> Midway Siding,

Thanks, didn't even know it was out there!

http://binged.it/12m0u3A

Date: 12/12/12 16:46
Author: kodachrome9319

Great shots, Ted.

Date: 12/12/12 17:43
Author: dougd

Couldnt get a PM to go thru--In response to yours, my enthusiasm is unbounded. Soon every horizon and bare spot will have some of these on them and you and I get to pay for them Yippee!

One good thing to mention about the turbines--In Wyoming (I live in Lander, WY) on I-80 between Rawlins and Laramie, from the east bound lane, the road makes a sweeping left hand curve. The turbines on Arlington ridge are partially behind another ridge, and when the turbines are turning clockwise, as you make the curve,the movement of the vehicle makes it appear as if the propellars are wheels rolling across the road ahead of you. A wonderful optical illusion-only good thing I can say about them.
D.

Date: 12/12/12 17:52
Author: Amtrakdavis22

Awesome shots Ted! That first location is money. Thanks for posting.

Jake Miille
Chico, CA
Jake Miille Photography

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds