Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Nampa Sub Train/Truck Accident

Date: 12/12/12 12:48
UP Nampa Sub Train/Truck Accident
Author: philhoov

This just showed up on KTVB TV's website.
Apparent UP salad shooter hit an empty semi-trailer near the Orchard siding SE of Boise, Idaho.
Don't think anyone was hurt.
Sounds like the truck driver saw a train on the siding and didn't realize there was another one passing it on the main.
Sketchy details at this point.
http://www.ktvb.com/news/Train-semitrailer-crash-east-of-Boise-183187141.html
Update: Channel 2 website is reporting that the truck driver suffered minor injuries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/12 12:50 by philhoov.

Date: 12/12/12 15:26
Re: UP Nampa Sub Train/Truck Accident
Author: Cumbresfan

There are way too many of these. There should probably be several questions on the CDL exam dealing with tractor trailers and railroad crossings, including being prepared to stop at all crossings with or without lights or gates, watching for trains on multiple tracks, not trying to beat the train, recognizing and avoiding high center crossings, etc.

Date: 12/12/12 16:47
Author: CFWRRCEO

Lets not just point fingers at commerical drivers. EIRR got one this afternoon also and it wasn't a CDL. Here is the link: http://www.kmvt.com/news/local/Update-Train-Strikes-Car-In-Jerome-County-183235922.html .

I feel really bad for the crew because I know this location and the crew had to watch this all unfold right in front of them.

Date: 12/13/12 07:43

CFWRRCEO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lets not just point fingers at commerical drivers.
> EIRR got one this afternoon also and it wasn't a
> CDL. Here is the link:
> http://www.kmvt.com/news/local/Update-Train-Strike
> s-Car-In-Jerome-County-183235922.html .
>
> I feel really bad for the crew because I know this
> location and the crew had to watch this all unfold
> right in front of them.

Agree totally. But as CDL requirements are more stringent than for a regular license, these drivers should be more aware of the potential hazards of RR crossings, especially on heavily traveled main lines.

Regarding this incident, more information please. The news article is sketchy about details. Since this is a state highway crossing were there flashing lights and gates that he ignored??

And, BTW and off topic, what ever happened to that big transformer that made it successfully to your area by UP rail but then collapsed while trucking it to the power station?

Date: 12/13/12 16:48
Author: CFWRRCEO

The crossing lights were working, there are no gates. Bad thing is that is was a local who was hit. 2nd bad thing is that I see locals running gates and lit crossings all the time. It's bound to get one sooner or later. BTW, I'm a licensed CDL/HAZMAT myself as well as a Operation Life Saver Presenter both which make me doubly aware of trains, grade crossings and the people who choose to do it they're way.

As for the transformer, it was finally scrapped on site and hauled off it pieces.

Date: 12/13/12 17:03

CFWRRCEO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2nd bad thing is that I see locals running
> gates and lit crossings all the time. It's bound
> to get one sooner or later.

Can't fix stupid but can fix ignorance if they care to learn and pay attention. As you said earlier, it's the crew and also the victim's family that have to live with his bad decision.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0576 seconds