Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Herzog creeping down the Coast Sub

Date: 12/12/12 21:05
Herzog creeping down the Coast Sub
Author: SCUfoamer

Finally edited this piece down to fit on here.
Friday December 7th I celebrated my last final with a unique chase of a herzog train that was dumping ballast between Morgan Hill CA and Gilroy CA on the Coast subdivision. I got out of my final around 10 AM and just made it in time to catch it leaving Santa Clara at the College Park station.

I got it at the power plant along Monterey HWY near Coyote. He was doing track speed so I didn't catch the train until he slowed down around the Caltrain Station in Morgan Hill
From there he proceeded south down the coast dumping ballast at 12 mph for about 4-6 miles. He then ran into a siding at Bolsa Road and ran around his train at Logan.
He got back into San Jose around 5pm just in time to snap a few shots before dark.

This is just 1 of many HERZOG ballast and rail trains that have been traveling on the Coast Sub south of Morgan Hill. Who knows that the official plan is, but when something like this happens on the coast, I jump on the opportunity so shoot an interesting train.

Enjoy,
Andrew

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/13/12 15:21
Re: Herzog creeping down the Coast Sub
Author: trainnut7

How many cars dump ballast at the same time? And who and where is the supervisior that oversees this? Thx Jim

Date: 12/13/12 20:03

trainnut7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How many cars dump ballast at the same time? And
> who and where is the supervisior that oversees
> this? Thx Jim

Usually 3-4 cars dumped at a time on one side. the supervisor was in a truck driving from where they started until they turned around to go home. I believe in a clip in the video you can see the white truck around.

Date: 12/14/12 04:36
Author: navy5717th

Great video!!

Date: 12/14/12 08:56
Author: spdaylight

Now that wuz a 'good un' !! Informative (have never seen that before) and well edited. Great job!

Craig

Date: 12/14/12 09:34
Author: cchan006

I already saw the preview of this great video, so you already know what I think. I'm glad you finally got the video posted here on TO!

Date: 12/14/12 09:54

cchan006 Wrote:
> I already saw the preview of this great video, so
> you already know what I think. I'm glad you
> finally got the video posted here on TO!

Yes after reediting it about 5 times to see if it would make the size requirements. Im glad it worked, I will be uploading many more videos now

Date: 12/14/12 18:25
Author: spdaylight

SCUfoamer Wrote:
> Yes after reediting it about 5 times to see if it
> would make the size requirements. Im glad it
> worked, I will be uploading many more videos now

Will look forward to your next one!

Craig

Date: 12/14/12 21:18
Author: NFO

Nice editing. And shot from a tripod, steady as she goes... You are good, look forward to more of your work. SCU has some good rail fan students.

Norm O.

Date: 12/14/12 23:04
Author: mmciau

Great informative video. Agree with the other comments. Great subject MOW work and how it all happens.

Mike

Michael McInerney
Marion, South Australia,

Date: 12/14/12 23:57

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Date: 12/15/12 11:07
Author: sd60m

Saw this train coming back into Roseville on Friday about 0715...has it gone back to that quarry near Oroville to reload??

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1208 seconds