Home Open Account Help 198 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > "December's Golden Glow..."

Date: 12/13/12 16:24
"December's Golden Glow..."
Author: aussiehinz

With the shortest day of the year a little over a week away, the "photographic window" of sunlight is quite fleeting here in Chicago this time of the year. Still, it was a very nice day, with mild temperatures and clear skies, so I visited a few of the reliably sunlit areas around "MH" Tower and a bit beyond during this afternoon. Here are a few trains I managed to find while out and about...

Cheers,

aussiehinz

1. A very lengthy (171 cars) CN train from Iowa cruises past the 47th Street Metra Electric Station early in the afternoon, making its way south down the former IC main line to Markham Yard.

2. Amtrak Train #5, today's "California Zephyr," passes "MH" Tower on its way west. #5 left on time today, with the standard winter consist.

3. A Norfolk Southern to BNSF empty ethanol train, with veteran #2562 in the lead, passes Halsted Street on its way to Western Avenue and a crew change.

Date: 12/13/12 16:25
Re: "December's Golden Glow..."
Author: aussiehinz

4. Amtrak #3, the "Southwest Chief," accelerates through Halsted Street on time at 3:04 PM CST.

5. Metra F40PH #113 briefly poses directly in front of "MH" Tower, with the iconic Willis (Sears) Tower rising above the St. Charles Air Line in the background.

6. A BNSF to NS unit coal train for Detroit Edison (DTE) comes around the freight wye at 18th Street and enters the Chicago Line for its trip to Monroe MI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/12 16:37 by aussiehinz.

Date: 12/13/12 16:40
Author: AndyBrown

Fleeting but oh so nice! I love that winter sun...

Great set!

Andy

Date: 12/13/12 19:31
Author: 7230west

Great shots!

Date: 12/14/12 07:56
Author: Super_C

Very nice set of images in dandy light! Thanks for sharing. It also shows that Chicago can have some pretty nice weather.

JCL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0501 seconds