Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Chilli and Marceline Sub Signals, whats left?

Date: 12/16/12 10:52
BNSF Chilli and Marceline Sub Signals, whats left?
Author: MILW86A

Whats left of the old Santa Fe searchlights? May take a trip south here in the next few weeks if the wx holds.

MILW86A

Date: 12/16/12 13:08
Re: BNSF Chilli and Marceline Sub Signals, whats left?
Author: FP45

With the exception of a couple newer control points, most if not all of the old ATSF signals still remain on the Chillicothe Sub, at least outside of Chicago. Don't know for how long though.
Sean in Lacon IL

Posted from Android

Date: 12/16/12 16:24
Re: BNSF Chilli and Marceline Sub Signals, whats left?
Author: santafe199

MILW86A Wrote:

> Whats left of the old Santa Fe searchlights? May
> take a trip south here in the next few weeks if
> the wx holds.

During a recent foray into north-central Missouri shooting the searchlight signal bridges around Mendon, I met an old gentleman who's son-in-law works for the BNSF signal dept. It was his opinion the the BNSF would be starting near Chicago early in 2013 and working in an orderly westward direction cutting-in the new signals which I believe are already in place everywhere.

Lance

Date: 12/16/12 17:26
RE: BNSF Chilli and Marceline Sub Signals, whats left?
Author: 4400horsepower

Dave, I know Argyle, IA has the new signals and also the new control point west of Fort Madison (Ortho) has the new signals when the BNSF moved the crossovers, other than that I believe all the SF cantilevers are still up and some do not even have the new signals up next to the old ones.... some down in MO have the new ones up next to the old ones I know for sure as I saw them from Amtrak last May coming home from Albuquerque.

Brian
Burlington, IA

Date: 12/17/12 08:52
Re: RE: BNSF Chilli and Marceline Sub Signals, whats le
Author: ntharalson

RE: Marcelline Sub.

The intermediates between Revere and Ethel are gone. Part of the
reason is that the block lengths were changed. Some of this was
due to the addition of the Hurdland control point near MP300.

All the long time control point bridges and searchlights east of Ethel
(Medill, Gorin, Baring, La Plata) are still in place, although
the new hooded tri-lights have been installed. One of the reasons
they haven't been cut it yet, I read somewhere, is that the final
decisions on PTC software haven't been made yet. Perhaps that's
coming soon. West of Ethel, AFAIK, the intermediates are still up
along with the control points. This excludes Hart, at MP336 where
the searchlights were replace with tri-lights on the bridges that
held the former signals.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 12/17/12 10:52
Re: RE: BNSF Chilli and Marceline Sub Signals, whats le
Author: peoriarr1

The Edelstein area will change over time. The up siding east of Bradford, IL will be getting signals, grading was noted by someone a few days ago. This is still a dark key lock meet. Also the UP has been looking at the Northeast corner for another connector to take G4 Pac NW traffic off of the IHB/CN-IC/CN-EJE. The signals all down the Chili for the most part are still the old school ones. Only real new one was done quite a few years ago at the east end of Kernan, IL. Also New signal and switch in SW corner of 55 for future auto yard to be moved out of LPC for further container expansion. The other new signals were new crossovers put in a few years ago at Wilbern/Monica/Smithshire, IL.
Monica used to have a crossover, but was wiped out in a derailment in the 50s.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds