Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A few more BNSF Christmas Train from Sunday

Date: 12/16/12 20:00
A few more BNSF Christmas Train from Sunday
Author: oyw

As already reported, continuing a holiday tradition started many years ago, BNSF ran its annual Christmas train over the former Santa Fe 2nd District today. Even though the weather here in Southern California wasn't the greatest, good friend "DRGW" and I set out to see if we could get a few photos of today's special.

1) After boarding passengers at Montclair, the train is on its way through downtown Claremont shortly after 9AM.

2) Now on stick rail, a few minutes later the train passes MP110 in San Dimas on the old 2nd District.

3) Looking the other way at San Dimas Ave, the sun poked its way through the clouds for a brief moment.

A few more to follow...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/12 20:43 by oyw.

Re: A few more BNSF Christmas Train from Sunday

4) Real-life Santa, Mr. Bob Brendza waves while the train continues west through Glendora.

As mentioned, the train didn't go quite as far west as planned and stopped just short of Barranca in Glendora to change ends.

5) We waited at Eucla Ave in cloudy San Dimas. Its hard to say how long signal 1101 will be around.

6) Still at Eucla, the sun made another appearance on the return trip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/12 20:14 by oyw.

7) The "other" Santa and his wife get some fresh air in Pomona.

8) As the weather disintegrated we ended our short chase from the upper deck of the parking garage in Claremont. The distant signal is CP Cambridge, the original 2nd District and someday Gold Line extension takes off to the right.

As PasadenaSub Rich said, it was a pleasant surprise that BNSF continued with their kindness and generosity again this year. Thanks for looking and Thank You BNSF.

OYW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/12 20:42 by oyw.

Date: 12/16/12 20:52
Author: DRGW

Shots all turned out great! Not really a bad chase today, even with the overcast weather.

Date: 12/16/12 21:00
Author: erielackawanna

Nice stuff, Bob... I see me in one of your shots. Ironically, in the thirty seconds for the train to get past me, the sun went away again.

Date: 12/16/12 21:07
Author: PasadenaSub

Great stuff, Bob. That downtown San Dimas shot is really nice with the fall colors. I see Charles in the background, and I was one street down at the intersection of Cataract and Bonita.

I tried not to repeat myself so much this year, and wound up with a lot more in Pomona and La Verne. I must have been right below you guys for your last shot in Claremont.

Rich

Date: 12/16/12 22:38
Author: oilcan

Good shooting Bob! Saw you guys highballng through San Dimas but that was it. Hope to see you trackside soon.

Date: 12/19/12 05:08
Author: jmbreitigan

Very nice series, especially photo #3
John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1316 seconds