Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > few at BNSF Watson yard . . .

Date: 12/18/12 20:56
few at BNSF Watson yard . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

. . Watson yard is center for operations in and out of the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, CA located in Wilmington, CA about twenty miles south of downtown Los Angeles and can sometimes be a busy place. The yard consists of sixteen tracks at the stem of a wye that comes off the Harbor Sub. Just a few taken around the yard office of one of the yard jobs working and some of the various power sitting around between assignments during my last few years working there. Lots of great memories. It was an excellent place to work out off.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/12 20:57 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 12/18/12 22:26
Re: few at BNSF Watson yard . . .
Author: wlj619

Thanks Joe...I used to drive over the bridge at the South end of the yard...loved all of the activity from there to the docks.

Walter Johnson, now retired, in Santa Monica.

Date: 12/19/12 08:36
Author: erielackawanna

Joe, here's a second shout out from Santa Monica... great to see the Watson pics.

Date: 12/19/12 09:01
Author: mikado

Thanks Joe,

In the early 1970's (when I was a kid) my dad had a friend whose business was located just across from the junk yard and near the intersection of Lomita Ave and Wilmington Ave., right next to Watson yard lead. As I recall it was a trucking company that used flatbed tracks for hauling. The owner would let my dad go through the scraps of lumber used for supporting the loads on the trucks. My old man would never pass on a deal for something free, so we would go down there on Saturday mornings and while he rummaged through scraps I would watch the blue and yellow switchers work the yard. Thanks for the memories.
Happy Holidays,
Mike "Mikado" Anderson

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0364 seconds