Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > a banner day after on Joint Line . .

Date: 12/20/12 15:51
a banner day after on Joint Line . .
Author: 3rdswitch

. . it's pretty normal to have a beautiful day in the neighborhood after a storm passes through so got up early to find nothing but a northbound passing through Palmer Lake, CO located on the joint UP-BNSF Denver to Pueblo Joint Line showing on the ATCS. An hour and a half or so later I saw that a southbound was lined up at Littleton to go south on normal northbound main #2 so suited up and headed out, it was nineteen. Heading north on Spruce Mtn road I see the southbound BNSF Pikes Peak Local coming so U turned and headed back to Palmer Lake to catch him rounding the curve (top) with an unusual two cars at around 0945 which is very early. Had I gone directly to I-25 I would not have seen him. Upon arrival at Tomah I spot a stopped southbound BNSF manifest, a crew van departing and some exhaust so turn around and head back to Larkspur to catch him (middle) then started back north only to spot a UP hot on his heals so turned around again and caught him at Larkspur (bottom) with a train of wind generators and blades . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/12 20:13 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 12/20/12 15:56
Re: a banner day after on Joint Line . .

. . . on arrival at Tomah for the third time another BNSF manifest was making good time on the block of the UP (top) then finally got to head north to Castle Rock where I spotted the headlight of the first of five southbound that ran on the normal northbound main #2 this day and walked out onto the golfcourse just south of Castle Rock to catch him (middle) as well as the next one (bottom) . . .

Date: 12/20/12 16:00

. . caught the next guy climbing into Greenland on main #2 (top) then headed back to Larkspur to catch the last wrongmainer (middle) another BNSF manifest then only minutes later a southbound coal load came climbing through Larkspur (bottom) on the normal southbound main #1 ending a pretty good day in the neighborhood.
JB

Date: 12/20/12 16:03
Author: ns2557

Been noticing alot of UP Power on BNSF Trains thru the area as of late. Wonder whats up with this. Caught the UP 5143 in Pueblo yesterday afternoon. UP 4218 was in town a few times the last few days on the DENPUE Trains. Nice set of shots JB. Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/12 16:04 by ns2557.

Date: 12/20/12 16:27
Author: the_expediter

Nice Shots, Joe. THX...Steve

Date: 12/20/12 16:37
Author: SP8595

Most Excellent Indeed! A lot of variety there for the Joint Line:)

Date: 12/20/12 18:01
Author: SilvertonRR100

Did they get the bi-directional signalling in service on main 2 north of Palmer Lake.

Rob

Date: 12/20/12 19:05

Still signalled for one direction only.
JB

Date: 12/20/12 20:32
Author: NH2006

EPIC!!!!

Well done JB!

Date: 12/20/12 21:18
Author: DynamicBrake

Beautiful shots Joe, especially those Larkspur shots, thanks for sharing.

Kent in Carmel Valley

Date: 12/20/12 21:46
Author: mcdeo

Any word on what happened today just before your pics?

I passed that UP turbine train sitting just south of Castle Rock at a red. Then, that BNSF freight in pic 2 was all of the cars with out engines and from what I can tell, the first 3 cars or so. The tank cars were sitting there at the 'front' of the train without any engines in sight. I'd figured something stalled and the head end went up to help. I didn't see another train through the cut from the I25 past Monument.

Just curious. Great shots. Mine are from the car at 70mph.

I guess these are backwards:
#1 'front' of BNSF train without power
#2 back of BNSF train
#3 Front of wind turbine train sitting behind the BNSF train.

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 12/20/12 21:49
Author: mcdeo

More Wind train...

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 12/21/12 06:21

First train south in photo two must have had to set out a car at Larkspur as there was a tank car first out in the set out track there and I did hear something about a broken rail on the scanner later in the day? Everyone must have been there awhile as the UP turbine train showed by S Denver at 2000 the previous night.
JB

Date: 12/21/12 10:28
Author: wesleygreer

Great catches and nice shots!

Date: 12/21/12 18:31
Author: ns1000

SUPER pics!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0638 seconds