Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Some people just never learn

Date: 01/28/13 08:26
Some people just never learn
Author: MarinCommuter

Date: 01/28/13 13:04
Re: Some people just never learn
Author: mojaveflyer

And it's wide spread as well. I was out taking pictures this morning when I spotted this woman driving around the lowered gate as the BNSF Provo - Denver approached the crossing at Tennyson Street. I had my long lens on the camera so I couldn't include the whole scene at the crossing with the gates down and other drivers waiting.

Date: 01/28/13 13:32
Author: toledopatch

mojaveflyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And it's wide spread as well. I was out taking
> pictures this morning when I spotted this woman
> driving around the lowered gate as the BNSF Provo
> - Denver approached the crossing at Tennyson
> Street. I had my long lens on the camera so I
> couldn't include the whole scene at the crossing
> with the gates down and other drivers waiting.

Kind of you to smudge the license plate. I wouldn't have bothered.

Date: 01/28/13 15:59
Author: PHall

toledopatch Wrote:
> mojaveflyer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And it's wide spread as well. I was out taking
> > pictures this morning when I spotted this woman
> > driving around the lowered gate as the BNSF
> Provo
> > - Denver approached the crossing at Tennyson
> > Street. I had my long lens on the camera so I
> > couldn't include the whole scene at the
> crossing
> > with the gates down and other drivers waiting.
>
>
> Kind of you to smudge the license plate. I
> wouldn't have bothered.

Bet the cops would like a copy of that picture.
Even if they don't ticket her, just the fact that they showed up at her door might be enough.
If there were kids in that car they could add child endangerment to her list of stupidity.

Date: 01/28/13 17:40
Author: ns2557

As a Commercial Truck Driver out everyday, dealing with idiots out and about, all I can say to this shot in the Denver area is. "I am in a hurry and nothing is gonna stop me from getting to where I am going, not even a stupid crossing gate at a RR crossing" Doesn't matter how fast, what lane, what other traffic is around you, you, or something will be in the way and to hell with ya if ya get in my way. All the education that is out there about running around crossing gates doesn't mean a thing nowadays as its all about "Me". Fines will get an offenders attention but injuries and the ultimate fine, death, seem to be all that will perhaps get the attention of some of the population anymore. I hate seeing it, and don't like it, but I think these options are the only ways to get the attention of those who willfully disregard them. If ya can stop just one from doing anything of the sort, then you have succeeded. Just my thought's, and I really do not care if ya agree with me or not. Ben

Date: 01/29/13 00:32
Author: 28hogger

It's sad that somebody needs to die or get hurt doing something stupid. The media always reports about the victim, the guy crawling under the train or the car going around the gates but very rarely do they ever mention the real victim the engineer. I had a friend that passed away a few years back that was an engineer for a main line RR in California. He was running on double track (main line and passing) passing another train that was in the siding waiting for him to pass, both trains where headed in the same direction. The double track crossed an intersection and a father with two kids seen the one train stopped but didn't see my friends train, so assuming there was only one train he went around the gates. My friend hit them at 50 MPH and there wasn't a thing he could do to stop that train, he sat and watched three people die. He resigned from railroading shortly after it happened and never touched a throttle again. And if he ever talked about it he would get tears in his eyes.

Date: 01/29/13 00:34
Author: lwilton

ns2557 Wrote:
> As a Commercial Truck Driver out everyday, dealing
> with idiots out and about, all I can say to this
> shot in the Denver area is. "I am in a hurry and
> nothing is gonna stop me from getting to where I
> am going, not even a stupid crossing gate at a RR
> crossing" Doesn't matter how fast, what lane, what
> other traffic is around you, you, or something
> will be in the way and to hell with ya if ya get
> in my way. ...

Remember, nowadays we teach all of out kids in gradeschool that They Are Special.

Every on of them is Special, and doesn't have to take any ^&*() from anyone else. Of course, to them that all means that because they are Special, laws and Civilization don't apply to them.

Every one of them is Special. Every one...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/13 00:37 by lwilton.

Date: 01/29/13 06:23
Author: atsfmodeler

My dad was a Santa Fe engineer in yard service in Oklahoma. With 50 years service before retirement, he had to deal with death and dying many times at grade crossings where people thought the "train" which would be a couple of units and a long string of grain cars was moving too slowly and "they could make it".

I saw him cry off and on for days after a fatality accident, especially with children involved. He never forgot it until the day he died at age 76. He taught me well about trains and cars and today at age 76 for me, I am very careful around crossings. I urge you to do the same.

Bob

Bob Miller
Kansas City, KS

Date: 01/29/13 07:55
Author: ddkid

Heck, if I'm first in line at a crossing, I won't even pull up to the gate. I stay 40-50 feet back to allow for shifted loads, loose banding, dragging equipment, or the very remote possibility of a derailment. I've had people drive around me, though, to pull up to the gate. Better them than me!

Date: 01/29/13 11:19
Author: SPLoopConductor

As ddkid said. I've always said that 'limit lines' should be further back. You can always tell the smart folks, first-out at the crossing, they stop well behind the limit lines... 1 - 2 cars back! Anything can happen with that massive tonnage passing a few feet in front of you. Be smart, wait well back from the gates or crossing area.

Take Care, Stay Safe, Have Fun!

Larry

Date: 01/29/13 20:31
Author: up4466

I spent about 18 years doing the Operation Lifesaver program in the Northern California area. I was a speaker at the State School Bus Drivers Convention once. I had a 4' X 8' train board that was rigged to show people that the train just could not stop. It was pretty neat really and it got a lot of use at fairs, safety fairs, malls, etc.. I had it set up and during one break, it was used by a lot of the bus drivers. Yeah, I got them all at he crossing. As the show restarted, I was covering it up and I noticed an old gentleman in bib overalls leaning against a tree. Once everyone was gone, he approached me and stated that the train board was a really great idea to show people that the train will not always stop in time. I asked him if he was a railroader and he lowered his head and said "yeah, I am a retired hoghead. During my career, I killed 20+ people." He had tears in his eyes. I immediately told him "Hey, you did not kill anyone! Do not say that again!" He looked startled and looked at me. I told him "You did not kill anyone, they killed themselves!" He looked at me and thought for a minute and said "You know, you are right, I did not kill them did I".
I told him that for someone to be hurt of killed at the crossing, they have to come to us and break the law! We don't chase them down the streets or across the fields. They have to come to us AND BREAK THE LAW! If they come to the crossing and obey the law and the signs, they will not have a problem. It is only when they break the law that there is a problem. The old man looked at me and with a look that I will never forget, he thanked me and shook my hand an walked away. I personally think that after I talked to him, he walked away a different man with a clear conscience. All those years, he felt that he "killed" those people and carried the guilt and shame. I know that this experience really changed my life and how I looked at crossing accidents. I know many engineers that still suffer after an accident. They did nothing wrong. Once the train is placed into emergency, they can only sit and watch the accident unfold in front of them and there is NOTHING THEY CAN DO! So, be kind to the crews that have to deal with this daily. It is sad. Thanks!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0932 seconds