Western Railroad Discussion > San Diego Lodging Help

Date: 03/06/13 17:45
San Diego Lodging Help
Author: CP8888

Looking for a place within walking distance of the Green or Orange
line in San Diego. Need to get outside of the $130-150 per night cost
of downtown.

Walking distance can be up .80 mile approx. Thanks in advance for
any/all replies. Taking the Surfliner to SAN.

Date: 03/06/13 17:57
Re: San Diego Lodging Help
Author: coco

WNDHAM ON THE BAY, FORMER HOLIDAYINN ON THE BAY. 2 BLOCKS FROM SANTAFE DEPOT AND TROLLEY LINE.ROOMS WITH BALCONIES FACING DEPOT OR FACING THE BAY. 2 RESTAURANTS ON PROPERTY. FREE AIRPORT SHUTTLE. STAYED THERE MANY TIMES..EXCELLENT LOCATION, PRICES AND HELFUL STAFF. COCO

Date: 03/06/13 20:36
Author: yorknl

A couple of years back I took Amtrak into San Diego and stayed at the Doubletree at Hazard Center - the hotel was maybe a 3 minute walk from the Hazard Center trolley stop. Rates were reasonable and included a very nice breakfast.

Out of curiosity - asking of anybody in the know - when did the trolley routings change? I just checked the system map to refresh my memory, and I see that the green line now goes direct from downtown out to Santee. My recollection from 2011 is that you had to take the blue line to Old Town and transfer to a green line train. Since that seemed a silly way of running things, I'm glad to see that it's apparently changed.

Date: 03/06/13 20:45
Author: Mudrock

I stay at the Bayfront Best Western right next to the Bayfront Trolley Station. Easy to get there just walk across the street to the American Plaza Trolley Station and 18 minutes
later you are walking to the the hotel a short block.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/13 06:28 by Mudrock.

Date: 03/06/13 23:39
Author: Jaanfo

yorknl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Out of curiosity - asking of anybody in the know -
> when did the trolley routings change? I just
> checked the system map to refresh my memory, and I
> see that the green line now goes direct from
> downtown out to Santee. My recollection from 2011
> is that you had to take the blue line to Old Town
> and transfer to a green line train. Since that
> seemed a silly way of running things, I'm glad to
> see that it's apparently changed.

The project to raise the platforms between Downtown and Old Town to accomodate the new cars was completed last September, and I don't think they wasted any time changing the routes once that was ready. Only about a month ago they finished raising the platforms on the Orange Line and immediately began running the new cars out there also. Blue line should be ready soon. Additionally, MTS is in the process of selling off the U2 cars as the new S70s come online. 3 car sets are becoming mixed sets with two S70s sandwiching an SD100.

Date: 03/07/13 01:45
Author: jeffgeldner

Although these motels are on the Blue Line, they are right by the E Street stop in Chula Vista:

Motel 6
Best Western South Bay Inn

I have not stayed at this particular Best Western but have stayed at the Motel 6 a few years ago. At that time, it was AOK- clean and reasonable.

Jeff Geldner
Yosemite National Park, CA

Date: 03/07/13 08:27
Author: usmc1401

Padre Trail Inn in Old Town. One block from light rail stop. Have stayed there about a dozen times. 800 255 9988.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0487 seconds