Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP 5414 at Roseville, CA at 3pm

Date: 03/31/13 15:46
UP 5414 at Roseville, CA at 3pm
Author: sd60m

I saw this engine on a train departing Roseville, CA...to the West...at approximately 3:10pm this afternoon. The UP trace "said" that the train was going to "Lake Yard, Oregon."

What did I miss...??? Isn't Lake Yard a BNSF facility?

Thanks for any kind response.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/13 16:33 by sd60m.

Date: 03/31/13 16:15
Re: UP 5414 at Roseville, CA at 3pm
Author: Torisgod

sd60m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw this engine on a train departing Roseville,
> CA...to the West...at approximately 3:10pm this
> afternoon. The UP trace "said" that the train was
> going to "Lark Yard, Oregon."
>
> What did I miss...??? Isn't Lake Yard a BNSF
> facility?
>
> Thanks to someone who has access for checking the
> routing of this train for me. If it is going
> "West" to go North...is it taking the wye at
> Haggin to the Sacramento Subdivision? If that is
> so, does it head to Oroville and Keddie junction
> to make the run North? Why is it originating in a
> UP yard, with UP power, to end up on the BNSF?
>
> I am sure I have this all screwed up.
>
> Thanks for any kind response.

First of all, "Lark Yard" was a misspelling. It is, as you reasoned, Lake Yard.

Second of all, Lake Yard is owned by the Portland Terminal Railway, and both BNSF and UP use it and are considered on "home" rails. This is why its symbol from UP is "PT", for Portland Terminal.

Third, it was going to the west? ....????? I have no idea why it would be going to the west. Possibly a derailment occured on its normal route, or there is trackwork. It would probably go north on the Sac Sub at Haggin, then up the Sacto Valley via Chico and Redding. If I am correct, UP 5414 northbound will pass my hometown tonight or tomorrow. I will keep an eye out for it.

Tor in Eugene, OR

Date: 03/31/13 16:32

Okay...thanks...I mis-typed the first "Lake Yard" entry...so, that is clearly my fault.

I forgot this train could take the wye to the North at Binney Junction in Marysville, CA and head on up the usual I5 corridor.

The trace now says UP5414 was through Haggin around 3:37pm and is scheduled into Lake Yard at 7:01pm on 1 April.

Thanks for the information.

Date: 03/31/13 17:24
Author: upbuddyboy

What's special about 5414?
Upbuddyboy

Date: 03/31/13 18:05

Absolutely...nothing...just my "tracing project" for today, I guess.

It interested me that it departed West from Roseville, went up the Sacramento Sub...and goes on North from Binney Junction.

Maybe it does that every day...probably...it just caught my eye today.

No worries.

Date: 03/31/13 18:21
Author: Western_Star

MRVPT is the symbol. Runs six days a week

Date: 03/31/13 18:34
Author: AlbinaRunThrough

Almost all the Oregon and Washington bound manifest trains depart West out of Roseville now and head North via Elvas, Haggin, and Binney Jct (Sacramento Sub) and turn North on to the Valley Sub. The trains taking this route are the MRVHK, MRVPW, MRVET, and MRVPT as well as the Northbound ZLCBR and ZLCBRB trains. I think it's due to the MoW windows on the East Valley Line but I also heard something about Yardmasters trying a new approach on building Northbound trains on the West end of the yard (so their "head end" is facing west).

Date: 03/31/13 19:01

Thanks, again! All good information and I appreciate it.

Is the RVPT train always "scheduled" out of the yard around 3pm??

On which day does it not run...Saturday...I would ASSume.

Date: 03/31/13 19:38
Author: AlbinaRunThrough

The MRVPT is scheduled to leave between 3:30PM and 5:30PM. I think its day off is either Tuesday or Wednesday, but an "extra" PT train usually runs on those days anyway.

Date: 03/31/13 20:07
Author: Western_Star

Once a week I usually hear MRVPTX on the radio here in Portland.

Date: 04/01/13 00:51
Author: portlander

Just to clear up some things.

Northbound trains are only routed west out of Roseville to avoid the curfew on the lower Valley sub. They are still replacing crossings as part of the recent tie replacement project. It accounts for one or two trains a day. Usually just the first one called against the curfew. It is not part of a new plan or likely to become a regular thing. It adds a lot of unnecessary miles and time to the trip.

Secondly, the Portland Terminal Railway does NOT own the Lake Yard. The operate it on the behalf of its owners, the UP and BNSF. The UP owns 2/3 of the property and the BNSF owns 1/3. The UP inherited the SP's 1/3 after the buyout.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0781 seconds