Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP - Operation Lifesaver Train On Greeley Sub

Date: 04/17/13 22:29
UP - Operation Lifesaver Train On Greeley Sub
Author: mojaveflyer

The UP / Operation Lifesaver special that has operated in the west for the last few weeks made it's way to Colorado this week. It started running several moves out of Grand Junction on Monday, out of Glenwood Springs on Tuesday and on the Greeley Sub north of Denver today. It made four round trips, two out of Ft Lupton this morning to Lasalle and two out of Greeley this afternoon to Nunn and back to end the day. Since I worked as a presenter on the train I wasn't able to get many shots of the train until the end of the last trip late this afternoon when the train unloaded it's passengers at the Greeley Depot and the Operation Lifesaver presenters cleaned the train prior to it's departure. I understand it was to run to Cheyenne and then return to Omaha to end this trip. The first two shots were the opposite ends of the train as it sat in the Greeley Depot. No one was able to explain whey they assigned three SD-70Ms to power this train. The last shot was taken as we sat on the main at Nunn waiting for the ZLADV to run around us before we started back to Greeley. There was a fairly stiff north wind blowing and everything seemed to be coated in ice when I looked across Hwy 85 in Nunn towards the residential area and thought the back lighting was interesting.

Despite cold weather and the train running late due to a late arrival in Denver from the Moffat Sub, the crowds were very appreciative and patient, as well as receptive to the Operation Lifesaver message.

Thanks for looking!

Date: 04/17/13 23:03
Re: UP - Operation Lifesaver Train On Greeley Sub
Author: NH2006

Wow, it did make it! I thought it would not run.

Date: 04/18/13 00:11
Author: trb

Glad to see it made it over the mountains and you were able to get a few shots. Was the dome all fogged up due to the cold weather and lots of people in it?

Monday evening's run out of Grand Junction was in cool rain so the interior of the dome was all fogged with everyone in it. That run was suppose to go to Cisco, but was stopped at Utaline due to a slide fence activation at Westwater. We still had about an hour and half ride though.

Todd Busse

Date: 04/18/13 06:42
Author: mojaveflyer

Todd asked "Was the dome all fogged up due to the cold weather and lots of people in it?"

Some of the lower windows in the dome car were but the windows in the dome were clear. The weather was certainly a factor but with some diligence by the UP and Operation Lifesaver personnel, we pulled it off...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds