Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > WAG Wednesday: WAG Jr's Business Struggles...

Date: 04/24/13 04:02
WAG Wednesday: WAG Jr's Business Struggles...
Author: santafe199

...a tongue-in-cheek report

It's been rumored for some time now that my good friend & long time Dean of Kansas railfans Art Gibson (WAG Jr.) has been in dire straits. It's been thought lately that he was reduced to trying his hand at a number of business ventures with little or no success. In my recent trek throughout the southeastern USA I ran across some heartbreaking evidence that apparently these rumors may have had some ring of truth. I spotted & photographed the "Gibson" Inn in the Florida panhandle. Not a creature appeared to be stirring. Not even a mouse. I also found a tank car in Georgia with "WAGX" reporting marks. WAG-X?... sounds like something to get rid of unwanted wags. And then I found "WAG's" Auto in Rock Island, IL. At least the former CRI&P Station & mainline are visible from the car lot. But who likes an automobile salesman?

Art Gibson has done so much (along with his late father Bill) for the railfan fraternity in general (sisters included) & for us Kansas Gangsters in particular. So I feel honor & duty bound to lend a hand. Art, the next time you need a ride downtown to the mission to get in the soup & bread line, or maybe go down to the Salvation Army shop to pick up another couple of shirts all ya gotta do is call. I will gladly make the 50 minute drive over and give you a ride. I might EVEN give you a ride back home. Just call, pal! My number is BR 5-4-9...

1. The Gibson Inn in Apalachicola, FL on April 7, 2013.
(with apologies & all due respect to the Gibson Inn Bed & Breakfast, a beautiful building on the National Registry of Historic Places)

2. WAGX 6011 in a southbound NS manifest just north of Tifton, GA on April 12, 2013.
(with apologies & all due respect to the PCS Phosphate Co.)

3. WAG's Auto in Rock Island, IL on April 17, 2013. Taken from in front of the former Rock Island passenger station the namesake city.
(with apologies & all due respect to Mr. Ken Wagler of Rock Island, IL)

Alms for the needy?
Lance Garrels (WAG's ghost writer & part-time business agent... aka santafe199)
Art Gibson (former innkeeper, RR magnate & car salesman... aka wag216)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/18 14:15 by santafe199.

Date: 04/24/13 04:36
Re: WAG Wednesday: WAG Jr's Business Struggles...
Author: PERichardson

This post written by a wag, that's for sure. Good one Lance.

Date: 04/24/13 04:48
Author: Rathole

Is the the new "1027?" Now I'll be looking for WAG's everywhere I go! Good one! (Of couse it's good he's branched out since his first invention, the Wig Wag, is hard to find anymore.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/13 04:49 by Rathole.

Date: 04/24/13 07:05
Author: wag216

WAG SR was never known as "wig-wag". Dad was the "Bald-one". wag216

Date: 04/24/13 07:48
Author: The_Chief_Way

that Gibson Inn looks to be a fine establishment

Date: 04/24/13 11:01
Author: WrongWayMurphy

There used to be a Gibsons Discount in every medium size Texas town
There is a Gibson bass guitar in my house
Henry Gibson in the 60's

Date: 04/24/13 17:53
Author: GP30Frank

ArgyleEagle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Henry Gibson in the 60's

Actually, well, that's Arte Johnson.

Date: 04/24/13 21:36
Author: wpdude

Way out, man :-)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.046 seconds