Home Open Account Help 198 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Following the Hays Local: Not a Coal Train in Sight

Date: 05/21/13 08:48
Following the Hays Local: Not a Coal Train in Sight
Author: PRose

Fellow TO Member Brian Stevens, SCKP187, had some business to take care of in Salina today so came up a day early and we spent yesterday
chasing the LDG89, the Salina to Hays Local almost all the way to Hays. It was a great day and here is a summary of our quest.

1) The day started out with a "Cloud Convention". Don't feel bad Lance. While waiting for 89 to get his initial terminal air test at
Salina, we spotted a Cargill loaded grain train coming off the K&O (former Santa Fe Osborne branch) at Salina.

2) Monday is "Sale Day" at the Farmers and Ranchers in Salina. The K&O grain train was allowed to enter the UP Main at West Salina and
here he is going by the south corral at the Farmers and Ranchers.

3) The MSIDV (Salina to Denver Manifest) was also in the yard and it was a nice surprise when the Dispatcher let him out ahead of the
89 Local. Here she is coming off Mt. Zion Hill approaching the Salt Mine just east of Kanopolis, KS.

All Photos May 20, 2013.

continued

Date: 05/21/13 08:58
Re: Following the Hays Local: Not a Coal Train in Sight

4) The "Monkey Ward" switcher at the Independent Salt Mine just east of Kanopolis, KS struggles with some salt loads up the grade.

5) While waiting for the tardy 89 Local, TO members Brian Stevens (SCKP187) left, enjoys a joke with Marvin Bush (upkpfan). The UP Terra Cotta, KS depot movement to Ellsworth, KS and restoration is only a reality because of Marvin. He spearheaded the whole project and this is his baby.
Kudos Marvin!

6) Finally, the 89 Local arrives at Ellsworth, KS. Ex SP GP60 2028 is leading the Local today.

All Photos May 20, 2013

continued

Date: 05/21/13 09:06

7) One of the major customers switched by the 89 Local is the ethanol plant at Russell, KS. Here Engineer Dave Nothern gingerly spots
empty tanks for loading.

8) The work done, LDG89 highballs west out of Russell, KS for a meet at Gorham; 9 miles west.

9) Eastbound MDVSIX is stopped at the west end of Gorham, KS waiting for 89 to get in the clear. NO. Kansas is not flat.

All Photos May 20, 2013

continued

Date: 05/21/13 09:15

10) With 89 tucked in the clear at Gorham, KS, the MDVSIX is on the move.

11) 89 set out part of their train at Gorham to be picked up the next day on their eastbound trek. Here is Conductor Logan Nestler hamming
it up for my camera while they were Switching at Gorham, KS. Worked with Logan many times and he's a Damn Good Railroader.

12) By the time the boys finished their switching, our sun was waning. We decided to go to Toulon for some last shots of the day. On the
way, I couldn't resist this shot of St. Fedalis, the "Cathedral of the Plains" at Victoria, KS. A special thanks to Brian for slowing to
a crawl so I could get this shot.

All Photos May 20, 2013

continued

Date: 05/21/13 09:22

13) Hays was plugged with cars, so 89 set some of their cars out at the elevator track at Toulon,KS, 6 miles east of Hays.

14) Work done, it's on to Hays and a quick tie up and maybe one of those Sirloins at Montana Mikes.

Both Photos May 20, 2013

Thanks for looking and riding with Brian and I.

Bob Helling
PRose

Date: 05/21/13 10:48
Author: oklachaser

Awesome series of photos Bob!!! I think my favorite is photo#13 the way the lights starburst & the grain elevator. I'm hoping I can make it up to Kansas one of these days & have some of you Kansas Gang give me a tour.

Thanks for allowing me to ride along with you & Brian.
Ronda Thomas

Date: 05/21/13 12:07
Author: 3rdswitch

Great narrative and bunch of shots.
JB

Date: 05/21/13 15:59
Author: santafe199

That last shot is a definite IOTD candidate. Wow!!!

Lanzo

Date: 05/21/13 19:57
Author: upkpfan

Oh gosh, geely whiz, schucks, thank you Bob. Great pics. upkpfan

Date: 05/21/13 19:59
Author: Milw_E70

So this is what happens when that kid from Ellis goes out of state for the day? Great stuff, I think he needs to leave more often! ;-)

Date: 05/21/13 22:58
Author: NiceHandTick

Vice Local Chairman Logan Nestler'''''

Date: 05/22/13 08:04
Author: SCKP187

Great shots and what a great time we did share. #9 is a real look at the KP and we need to do this more.
Brian Stevens

Date: 05/22/13 19:42
Author: nwkrailfan

Milw_E70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So this is what happens when that kid from Ellis
> goes out of state for the day? Great stuff, I
> think he needs to leave more often! ;-)

I guess so, leave state and everyone thinks they can come out and take pictures of MY trains! ;-P Great stuff, Bob!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0858 seconds