Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Mohawk Jct. OR

Date: 07/06/13 10:30
Mohawk Jct. OR
Author: coosbaytoday

Mohawk Jct. is in Springfield OR, where the tracks take off from the UP main to Weyerhaeuser/International Paper, Kingsford and Lehigh Cement.
This line used to continue out to Marcola and the Weyerhaeuser reload, where Weyerhaeuser loaded logs from log trucks onto log flats. The train is heading back to the Jct. after picking up cars along the line/spur. Believe the UP calls it the Vaughn/Dougren turn.
All photos taken July 5, 2013.
Todd Montgomery
Springfield OR

Date: 07/06/13 11:26
Re: Mohawk Jct. OR
Author: Railbaron

The "Vaughn/Dougren Local" ("The V-D" as it's called) goes to work at 8 pm so I doubt this was that job as they usually don't start their wanderings until after 9 pm at Springfield.

I suspect this is actually the "Weyerhaeuser Local" returning from the branch. Even though the mill is no longer Weyerhaeuser, and the local no longer switches it, the name of the local that used to switch it remains.

Date: 07/06/13 12:46
Author: Torisgod

Railbaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The "Vaughn/Dougren Local" ("The V-D" as it's
> called) goes to work at 8 pm so I doubt this was
> that job as they usually don't start their
> wanderings until after 9 pm at Springfield.
>
> I suspect this is actually the "Weyerhaeuser
> Local" returning from the branch. Even though the
> mill is no longer Weyerhaeuser, and the local no
> longer switches it, the name of the local that
> used to switch it remains.

About a month ago I was riding an on-time Amtrak #11 through the junction, and at the same time a quite long local, comprised of mostly boxcars, was pulling off the branch. Which local might this have been? I have also seen a short, mostly empty local going through downtown Eugene in the direction of Springfield several times at around noon.

Tor, who lives in Eugene but is currently on vacation in New Hamster

Date: 07/06/13 13:04
Author: coosbaytoday

Thanks for the clarification, Railbaron. Would guess this is the same train seen from #11, as these pictures were taken about that time, 7pm or so.
Todd M.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds