Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > My 2013 Trip to Crawford Ne. (Butte Sub) Day 3

Date: 07/09/13 18:48
My 2013 Trip to Crawford Ne. (Butte Sub) Day 3
Author: rosevillebill

Hello

On day 2 I wanted catch a couple nice eastbound trains up at Breezy Point proper, but was deigned due to the track Geometry train holding up all the eastbound trains that afternoon when the good lighting was in its prime. I endeavored to visit Breezy Point again on day 3, so off I went.

This time however, I decided to spend all day up at Breezy, and not just in the afternoon.
In the morning, I walked up a small hillside just south of Breezy Point to photograph eastbound trains as they rounded the corner at Breezy. I was technically still at MP413.
I ran into bad luck however, as a broken switch frog in Crawford held up all the eastbound trains until repairs could be completed. From 6:00am until 9:00am no trains left Crawford eastbound.
I photographed my first Eastbound at around 9:45 am just before the lighting went away for eastbound trains at this location.

After a lunch break I set off to the top of the hill at Breezy point once again.

As the afternoon progressed a weather system typical for this time of the year built up over the Pine Ridge, and the area started clouding up with a 50/50 mix of clouds to sun.
In the early afternoon I once again shot several eastbound trains across the valley at MP 415, but the dappled effects/bad contrast of the cloud shadows made the photos look poor and I was never able to match up to the train I caught at the same location the day before.

Just as the window for good lighting started to turn in my favor that evening, the clouds started getting more dense 60/40. At the worse possible time the clouds would show up just as the trains would arrive, and I missed 2 eastbound trains due to clouds. Arrrgh I hate that!.
I finally lucked out well with the last train for me that day as the clouds broke up with about an hour remaining in my window. I caught an eastbound coal load being lead by 2 executive SD70 MAC's. I was really excited catching this train as an all "Executive" lash up is becoming quite rare these days.

I also managed to catch a helper set in good lighting. This helper set was the only one during my stay with a SD70 ACe in the consist.

I left for the B & B that evening feeling satisfied with the quality of my photos despite my poor luck.

Without further ado, here are my photos from Day 3.
#1 I caught BNSF 9151 east rounding the corner at MP 413. Note: Crow Buttes just north of Crawford can be seen in the background of this photo.
#2 I caught BNSF 5784/9299 helpers rounding the corner at Breezy Point with an eastbound approaching in the background.
#3 I finally caught the photo I was hoping to get at Breezy Point by capturing BNSF 9811/9496 executives leading this eastbound coal load. Note: Typical coal trains these days are around 120-138 cars long, and it is not possible to catch both the front and rear of the coal trains at Breezy Point anymore, the trains are too long!.

Date: 07/09/13 19:04
Re: My 2013 Trip to Crawford Ne. (Butte Sub) Day 3

#4 This photo is a warning. Please don't do what these guys did! Driving along the tracks between MP 419 and 399, will get you in trouble. BNSF does not like people driving on their right of way, and BNSF now has very little tolerance for railfans on their tracks and WILL report you to the authorities. In the case of these guys, there were 2 eastbound crews who reported this truck to the dispatcher, and a passing helper crew got the license plate number. The dispatcher promptly called the State troopers on these guys. All during my stay, the crews were reporting in ALL "Civilian" vehicles between MP419 and MP399.
I have to admit though, these railfans were really train watching in style with their Adirondack chairs and big cooler!

That's it for my Day 3 photos, see you tomorrow for Day 4

RosevilleBill
Boise, Id.

Date: 07/09/13 19:57
Author: wpdude

Nice series! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 07/09/13 22:25
Author: zchcsse

Great photos! Man, I worked that line for a year several years ago and never head anyone calling anyone in out there.

Date: 07/10/13 06:38
Author: jc76

Great shot at Windy Point...

Date: 07/10/13 07:56
Author: ntharalson

For the benefit of those who, like you, like to be legal, just
how did you get to Breezy Point? I've been there a couple of
times, pre-BNSF merger, and the BN was chasing people out of there.
Did you come up from the ranch below?? Just curious as I'd like
to do that area again soon.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 07/10/13 08:01
Author: Rathole

I got ripped pretty hard here about 3 or 4 years ago by a track supervisor in a hi-rail and haven't been back since. Where did you park that got you close enough to hike in to Breezy Point?

Date: 07/10/13 09:05

Hello

As I mentioned yesterday, I was able to get permission from the land owner who owns the property just to the west of Breezy Point. The rancher allowed me to drive on his property almost right up to the base of the little hill we all like to climb when we reach Breezy point. you will need a 4wd however, or you will have to hike a little further from the road.

I would add that BNSF does not mind if you hike up the tracks between MP 419 to 399, they just don't like people driving on their ROW.
BNSF got pretty worked up about people driving on the ROW back in 2006, when a forest fire occur ed on Crawford Hill, and fire crews could not easily get down the roads to fight the fires. At the time the roads were blocked by local ranchers who were using the roads to get back to check their cows and help fight the fires, but that didn't help change BNSF's opinion about civilian vehicles on their roads.
I can still sympathize to the plight of both sides of that issue, that is why I prefer just to get permission and hike up there. Either that or you can hike all the way down from Belmont. I have done that before.

As for getting yelled at by the track inspector, we all have! myself included.
There was (was being the operative word) a track inspector named Rocky Phipps, who had one hell of a mean streak!, he was always grouchy toward people and got even grouchier toward railfans when he saw them. I got yelled at one time while in Edgemont SD, and I wasn't even near the tracks. I was at the park eating lunch when he recognized me and stopped to lecture/yell at me about being near the tracks.

Suffice to say Rocky is no longer working as a track inspector and is working another job in Edgemont now. Whew!.
Today's track inspectors are not who you need to worry about. if you drive up the ROW, the train crews themselves are calling you in.

RosevilleBill
Boise Id.

Date: 07/10/13 13:05
Author: ns1000

I REALLY LIKE Pic 3!!!

Date: 07/10/13 20:39
Author: Rathole

Thanks - next time I'm out there I'll give that a try. And to anyone else going there, if you get permission from this rancher, maybe a little $10.00 tip might be in order. I know I will do that.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0723 seconds