Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Cute little Herzog thing

Date: 07/09/13 19:37
Cute little Herzog thing
Author: SD45X

Says the wife. Didn't know they used switchers as fodder to rebuild. Anybody know it's pedigree?
Was on the rear of the HGALPAS today at LaJunta,CO.
What is the train called. I don't think it's a slot train is it?

Date: 07/09/13 19:38
Re: Cute little Herzog thing

The other end..

Date: 07/09/13 19:49
Author: PHall

No, that's not the "slot train".

Date: 07/09/13 19:50
Author: waycar_rider

Is this something for handling concrete ties on line, unloading them?

Gary
Aurora, CO

Date: 07/09/13 20:03
Author: cchan006

It's the Herzog MPM ("Multi Purpose Machine"). First time I encountered one was on the Joint Line several years ago, picking up debris along the tracks. The first three shots show the powered unit, which is based on a non-turbo 4 axle EMD, and the ones I've seen have Blomberg trucks.

I was told the Herzog thing can theoretically operate with only one crew, although I usually see at least two. Since that Joint Line encounter, I've seen them in Salt Lake City, West Colton, Havre, and Colfax so the little critters are everywhere.

Date: 07/09/13 20:04
Author: BN_FAN

HZGX 169 is ex-Ford SW1001 10022 per this old thread: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,144530.

I haven't seen a 'new' model name for these but the other Herzog power units rebuilt from GP38, GP40 and I think some first generation Geeps are Relco model RLMW 1500 A, 2000, 2300 etc.

The train itself is a Herzog MPM, or Multi Purpose Machine. Some info here:

http://hrsi.com/services/mpm-multi-purpose-machine/
http://blog.traingeek.ca/2011/02/herzog-multipurpose-machine.html

These are NOT 'Slot Machines' - that's a product from competitor GREX (Georgetown Rail Equipment).

Date: 07/09/13 20:10

Thank you for the info BN FAN. First one I have seen with the switcher trucks and usually all Blombergs for me as well.

Date: 07/09/13 20:25
Author: SCAX3401

Union Pacific used one these "trains" to move old wooden crossties from Receiving Yard at West Colton to a offloading spot a couple miles away. The Union Pacific over the last two years rebuilt the Receiving Yard with concrete ties that arrived on special flat cars that could feed the Track Laying Machine.

Date: 07/09/13 22:23
Author: zchcsse

Off the top of my head I've seen them used for loading ties, unloading ties, loading rails, and loading dirt. Possibly more. Certainly multi-purpose.

Date: 07/10/13 05:00
Author: MP555

cchan006 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was told the Herzog thing can theoretically
> operate with only one crew, although I usually see
> at least two.

It takes only one Herzog employee to operate the machine. The other guy will be a MOW employee to handle track authority/protection, tell the operator what to do, etc.

Date: 07/10/13 07:14
Author: Josiah

On the UP Santa Barbara Sub, the MPM was used to move mud and ditching several years ago when we actually had wet years.

Date: 07/10/13 07:24
Author: Torisgod

I saw one of these in Albina Yard (Portland) the other day. I later saw it along the Oregon Pacific near Oaks Park.

Tor in Eugene

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds