Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tehachapi Loop

Date: 02/28/01 16:59
Tehachapi Loop
Author: MK9515

Got a question. I plan to visit Tehachapi loop this summer. Can somebody tell me if the area is railfan friendly? I've heard mixed reviews is the past.
Thanks
Mike

Date: 02/28/01 17:09
RE: Tehachapi Loop
Author: xnj

Having just returned from a trip there last week I would say yes to the friendly question.
Make sure to stop in at Kelcys for some of the best grub to be found and the friendy staff!

Date: 02/28/01 17:32
RE: Tehachapi Loop
Author: proamtrak

Don't forget the Best Western Inn Restaruant, great food, and lots of action across the street!

Date: 02/28/01 17:42
RE: Kern County Food
Author: wildebeest

I tend to prefer staying in Bakersfield at the (slightly seedy but cheap) Downtowner Inn on Chester St. with a view of the Santa Fe (BNSF). That way, I don't have to drive back up the hill after a big dinner at one of the Basque restaurants (Benji's, the Wool Growers and others) in town. And for breakfast, the 24th St. Cafe (off Chester on 24th) has the one of the most amazing menus of daily specials (how about a Creole shrimp omlette?) I've ever encountered.

For train chasing, the 15 miles of straight rail out of Bakersfield along the Edison Highway toward Tehachapi can't be beat[en].

DFW

Date: 02/28/01 18:34
Author: Justin

There are plenty of great places to eat in the town of Tehachapi. The Mountain Crossing restaraunt, next to the Best Western, is my favorite for breakfast before heading up to the loop for the day. It is the one that features an HO scale replica of the loop. There is also another place that is good for dinner. I forget the name of it, but it is a mexican restaraunt near where Woodford Tehachapi rd. hits 202. Have fun and good luck!

Date: 02/28/01 19:46
Author: bobs

Do a search on Tehachapi and you will find several previous answers about where to stay and what to see in and around Tehachapi. Add the Apple Shed to the breakfast list, and the restaurant at the Summit Inn (Travelodge) for dinner. I'd definitely call it railfan friendly as long as you don't try to walk up to Tunnel 5.

Date: 02/28/01 20:04
Author: wildebeest

Agreed thqat Kelcy's is a good place-- and they have lots of historic pix on the wall as well. Will have to try the Apple Shed. Always thought the Mountain inn food was poor at best, but to each his own.

And I guess you have to be as perverse as I am to actually like Bakersfield. But mmmmm, those Basque dinners are awfully good -- I guess I'm getting hungry.

DW

Date: 02/28/01 22:23
Author: kstevens

Justin wrote:
>
> There is also another place that is good
> for dinner. I forget the name of it, but it is a mexican
> restaraunt near where Woodford Tehachapi rd. hits 202. Have fun
> and good luck!

The restaurant Justin speaks of is called Domingo's, and if you enjoy Mexican food it is very good. As for being perverse in liking Bakersfield, I like it too. One benefit is being able to spot a train on the railcam, jump in the truck, and shoot the train at Bealville, Caliente or Sandcut.

Date: 03/01/01 02:08
BUCK OWENSSSS!!!!!
Author: dickpalmer

Hey, if you make it to Bake on a weekend night, you should stop by Buck Owens' Crystal Palace. The old Buckaroo himself plays on Friday and Saturday night.

If I was going to winterrail this year, I'd definately take the time to check this out, as well as find the old location of the great old honky tonks like the Blackboard. And if I'm in Oil Dale, might look for where Merle Haggard grew up.

How to get to the Crystal Palace:

Coming from Southern California: Take I-5 North to
Highway 99, take the Buck Owens Boulevard off-ramp.
Coming from Northern California: Take Highway 99
South to the 24th Street/Rosedale Hwy. off-ramp, and turn left. Turn left again on Buck Owens Boulevard.
Coming from the Central Coast: Take Hwy. 58 East and turn left on Buck Owens Boulevard.
Coming from the Desert on Highway 58: Take Highway
58 West to Highway 99, go North on Highway 99 and take
the Buck Owens Boulevard off-ramp.

Street Address - 2800 Buck Owens Boulevard, Bakersfield, CA

And while in the area, be sure to listen to KUZZ radio!

Date: 03/01/01 19:00
Author: christo26

wildebeest wrote:
That way, I don't have to drive back up the
> hill after a big dinner at one of the Basque restaurants
> (Benji's, the Wool Growers and others) in town. And for
> breakfast, the 24th St. Cafe (off Chester on 24th) has the one
> of the most amazing menus of daily specials (how about a Creole
> shrimp omlette?) I've ever encountered.
>
Are you referring to Benji's on Rosedale Hwy? If so they are now closed.
Christian

Date: 03/02/01 11:42
Looping it ...
Author: pravihrvat

Big cheers for dinner at the Summit (Travelodge) -- especially the wild game they serve Friday & Saturday nights. Kelcy's for breakfast is always a sure winner, if only for the fact you can get a booth that faces trackside right across from the old depot, and enjoy neat train pics on the walls when you head to/from the john. Don't forget the Keene Cafe for to-go lunches you can eat at the Loop -- their slow-baked pit barbecue beef sandwiches are excellent!

As far as the rest of it goes, use common sense: don't park on the freeway (or closer than 40-50 feet from trackside), don't atagonize local landowners, and don't litter. Tehachapi is a wonderful place, and if you follow these simple rules you'll have a really fun time!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0559 seconds