Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Opening of BNSF's new KCIMF expected within days

Date: 09/14/13 20:17
Opening of BNSF's new KCIMF expected within days
Author: JoCoLB

It appears the BNSF Railway's new Kansas City Intermodal Facility on the east side of Edgerton, KS, and just west of Gardner, KS, will be opening within the next 2-3 weeks. The site is about 35 miles southwest of downtown Kansas City.

Some strings of empty container well cars were observed this past week under the five large production cranes. Track construction work appears completed.

The Gardner News, a weekly newspaper, published on Wednesday, Sept. 11, reported that the intermodal center will probably be open the last week of September or the first week of October. One fellow railfan has told me he understands the first train may depart on Monday, Sept. 30.

Attached are some photographs I snappeed today along Waverly Road, about one-half mile south of U.S. 56 highway, where the east entrance to the KCIMF exists.

The first three photos show scenes while looking to the southwest from Waverly Road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/13 20:33 by thtinc41ed.

Date: 09/14/13 20:30
Re: Opening of BNSF's new KCIMF expected within days

Picture Four is looking east from Waverly Road. A high-wide load detector exists where the two main lead tracks exist.

Picture Five shows the new automated crossing gates have been installed at the Waverly Road grade crossing in readiness for the intermodal center. Crossarms on the signs were only installed a few days ago.

The Gardner News also reported Wednesday that the BNSF has started conducting a series of weekly informational meetings in Edgerton relating to the opening of the facility and its planned year-round operations. The sessions are termed an "Intermodal 101" class. The first meeting was held Sept. 9 at the Edgerton Elementary School. The session served as an introductory meeting and also partially focused on the infrastructure required for the itnermodal project, according to The News.

The next meeting will be Monday evening, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the same elementary school. Public safety issues relating to the intermodal center will be discussed.

Other sessions are set for Monday, Sept. 23, and Monday, Sept. 30. Those sessions will address employment and provide information regarding area transportation and infrastructure matters.

A new motor vehicle interchange is nearing completion on Interstate 35 about 1-1/2 miles south of the KCIMF. It will serve the bulk of the truck traffic entering and exiting the intermodal center.

I have received no word yet on whether or not there will be a ceremonial "first train" ribbon-cutting when the center officially opens. (I keep thinking that Warren Buffet might show up on a business special if there is one. Boy, is that wishful thinking!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/13 20:32 by thtinc41ed.

Date: 09/14/13 20:45
Author: PHall

Yeah, the Security Guards should be chasing the railfans off pretty soon then.

Date: 09/14/13 21:05
Author: schmo

BNSF's Matt Rose doesn't like Railfans at all taking photos of his or near his railroad period.

Alex Schmollinger

Date: 09/15/13 05:01
Author: AFHT

And how do you know that Matt Rose doesn't like rail fans? Not trying to start anything.

Date: 09/15/13 15:21
Author: kcjonz

Date: 09/15/13 16:33

The engine and caboose you speak of are located on the New Century Air Center property (old Olathe Naval Air Station), now an industrial park. The equipment has been there a number of years. Uncertain who has ownership.

The new KCIMF is located just southwest of the city of Gardner, probably about 3 miles southwest of the Air Center on the transcon.

Date: 09/15/13 23:20
Author: schmo

Let me something BNSF doesn't like railfans because i think they don't want there image getting toasted or even the BNSF police really don't like railfans and if you think i'm kidding I'm not that's if your taking photos 25 feet from the track the BNSF police will still come after your and get right in your face for taking photos of the BNSF railroad.

Alex Schmollinger
Dallas tx
And i still think it's Matt Rose that doesn't like railfan's period.

Date: 09/16/13 06:54
Author: Milw_E70

schmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let me something BNSF doesn't like railfans
> because i think they don't want there image
> getting toasted or even the BNSF police really
> don't like railfans and if you think i'm kidding
> I'm not that's if your taking photos 25 feet from
> the track the BNSF police will still come after
> your and get right in your face for taking photos
> of the BNSF railroad.
>
> Alex Schmollinger
> Dallas tx
> And i still think it's Matt Rose that doesn't like
> railfan's period.

Wow, ok. You keep on smoking whatever it is that you're smoking kid.

Date: 09/16/13 19:51
Author: AFHT

Mr Schmollinger I just spoke with my local BNSF police officer and explained your dilemma. He recommended 50 feet and that should solve your problem with the BNSF police. In some cases the property line maybe by 100 feet from the track or as close as 25 feet. But 50 feet shouldn't send up any red flags. Also if you take pictures from a public locations like a station platform or road he didn't have a answer for that. The BNSF police do have a job to do and if you draw attention to your self they will do their job. All the BNSF police officers between Bakersfield and Richmond I've met have NO problems with rail fans. You might want to try friending the BNSF police in your area. Who knows you might get into some places other can't.

I don't think rail fans make Mr. Rose's radar. He's got Bigger fish to fry.

MC
Fresno CA

Date: 09/16/13 22:29
Author: SN711

AFHT Wrote:
> Mr Schmollinger I just spoke with my local BNSF
> police officer and explained your dilemma. He
> recommended 50 feet and that should solve your
> problem with the BNSF police. In some cases the
> property line maybe by 100 feet from the track or
> as close as 25 feet. But 50 feet shouldn't send up
> any red flags. Also if you take pictures from a
> public locations like a station platform or road
> he didn't have a answer for that. The BNSF police
> do have a job to do and if you draw attention to
> your self they will do their job. All the BNSF
> police officers between Bakersfield and Richmond
> I've met have NO problems with rail fans. You
> might want to try friending the BNSF police in
> your area. Who knows you might get into some
> places other can't.
>
> I don't think rail fans make Mr. Rose's radar.
> He's got Bigger fish to fry.
>
> MC
> Fresno CA

I'll second what AFHT said. I've likely met a couple of the same officers. They were cool as long you were not on the tracks (or in the yard) and provided some info on where the trains were, or in my case, nothing was close.

gary

Date: 09/17/13 05:38
Author: FBU32804

AFHT Wrote:
> And how do you know that Matt Rose doesn't like
> rail fans? Not trying to start anything.

This kid doesn't have a clue. Just likes to see his own words posted then doesn't back up his claims. Has been getting himself noticed for all the wrong reasons, both here and elsewhere. Check out recent discussions about Copper Basin, who he claims also hates railfans (nothing is further from the truth) and Florida East Coast Railway (they are repainting their SD40-2 fleet for him....YEAH...puff puff pass....)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0769 seconds