Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A "Demonstrator" kind of day in Colorado

Date: 10/07/13 16:45
A "Demonstrator" kind of day in Colorado
Author: ns2557

Well, After hearing that the GECX Tier 4 GEVO was in Pueblo enrte to the TTC I decided to have a look see. Was already on my way south to Trinidad after getting a heads up about the EMD SD70ACe P-4's were gonna be testing over Raton for the next 10 days or so, a quick trip to the yard in Pblo was no problem. Shot 1 shows the GECX 2022 along with GE's test Car 100 sitting on the Rip Track leads in Pblo Yards early this am. After getting my shots in what was beautiful morning light I continued south for my intended prey for the day. Wasn't really gonna chase over Raton Pass but things turned out differently. Started in Trinidad north of the Amtrak Station area. Here are the EMD demo's trailing the rest of the Test Train/Equipment, just getting headed for Raton. Consist is the BNSF 7824 on the south end with BNSF Canyon Diablo 2nd out and (Well my memory fails me on the 2nd car), then 4 Ballast Cars that are eventually headed for Las Vegas NM, next was the BNSF 6599, 4038, 6598, EMDX 1211, 1212. The EMD's were on line but not providing anything in the way of power for the first SB movement. Shot 3 shows the Train at the South end of Gallinias Siding on the Pass itself. The train set out some of the Ballast Cars at Wooten and then proceeded to here. They were gonna make a few trips back and forth btwn here and Wooten, then head for Trinidad again for the night. Quite a few guys were out chasing, including SD45X, and one other who contributes here on TO , but I can't recall his "handle' here, but I am sure he'll chime in eventually.. All in all an awesome day here in Suthern Colorado. The Sun gods were in our favor this day. I am sure there will be more posts of this train as the day/night goes on, so enjoy them all. Take care, stay safe live well everyone. Ben

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/13 16:48 by ns2557.

Date: 10/07/13 17:00
Re: A "Demonstrator" kind of day in Colorado
Author: tomstp

I wish some one could advise why and what they are testing on the Raton Pass route.

Date: 10/07/13 17:10
Author: FrontRangeTrains

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish some one could advise why and what they are
> testing on the Raton Pass route.

My guess is to see how the P4s handle with a load behind them on the steep grades Raton has.

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 10/07/13 17:14
Author: ns2557

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish some one could advise why and what they are
> testing on the Raton Pass route.

From what I have been informed of, they are looking at the capabilities of the P-4 units. The typical reasons, with High Altitude, steep grades etc come into play here. The units in the consist are being compared, meaning the GE ES44C-4's against the EMD SD70ACe P-4, both, tho with 6 axle trucks, only having 4 TM's on the trucks, GE's being the center axle not having the TM and EMD having the B-1+1-B set. The axle closet to the fuel tank on the EMD's is the one with out the TM. At least this is the reason I have been told. They are gonna run Trinidad to Wooten, back and forth. There is an RFE on the units, as the Engineers are not qualified to run the Raton Pass. . The extra cars, read "Ballast Cars" are for weight and resistence in regards to the units capabilities. Ben

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/13 20:48 by ns2557.

Date: 10/07/13 19:01
Author: cozephyr

Ballast cars were all set out - didn't seem to work with their testing - EMDX SD70ACe P4's 1211 & 1212; and GE BNSF 6598 and 6599. They tested between Wootten, CO (Raton Pass Tunnel and Gallinas, CO) on main two a couple of times October 7, 2013. Dispatcher called to ask them to clear up for Amtrak train 4. They ran down the pass and ducked into the east end of Trinidad, CO, for the night.

Amtrak 4 ran 30-minutes late (sun set at Trinidad, CO, before it arrived!) with 4-units and five private varnish cars on the rear (including Caritas).

Amazing day! Good to meet you ns2557.

Date: 10/07/13 20:40
Author: SD45X

The ballast was set out as it was too much tonnage for the hill. The P4 near the rear 1212 was online and pushed to get up the hill. The single car was set out later. They probably would have made it, but they added power up the hard pull. 1300 tons westbound might still be a good number with DC motors.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/07/13 22:49
Author: Evan_Werkema

ns2557 Wrote:

> Consist is the BNSF 7824 on the south end with
> BNSF Canyon Diablo 2nd out and (Well my memory
> fails me on the 2nd car)

Second car looks like BNSF 82 Kootenai River, which was BN's old research and test car, while car 83 Canyon Diablo was for Santa Fe's version. Both cars are now over 100 years old.

Date: 10/08/13 06:45
Author: SP8595

Nice catches!

Date: 10/08/13 07:51
Author: Super_C

This is the proper spelling. It is not "Wooten".

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0662 seconds