Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > depressed center flat cars...

Date: 10/09/13 09:58
depressed center flat cars...
Author: binder001

You don't often get to see them but deprssed center flat cars still get attention either in trains or in model form. There is a Cleaver-Brooks boiler plant in Lincoln, Nebraska. They are served by a spur out of the Havelock yards and they ship some of their boilers by rail. Every once in a while I check their spur to see if they havea car waiting to be loaded, or sometimes with a boiler loaded and waiting for pick up. Last evening (10-8-13) I saw a flash of orange, so I went over to see and saw the switch crew at work. They had pulled the loaded car and dropped the empty when I got there. Usually this job runs at hours that are inconvenient to photograph. The switch power was BNSF 3035, an ex-ATSF GP40X and BNSF 3155, an ex-BN GP50. Two 3500hp units - I think they had enough power for the job. So we have a four-axle depressed center car on the factory track and a larger version carrying the load - it's not often that you can get two in one photo.

Date: 10/09/13 11:02
Re: depressed center flat cars...
Author: RGDave

Cool!

Date: 10/09/13 11:04
Author: BobP

.... the side pic of the load.........

Date: 10/09/13 11:57
Author: CP_M260

Isn't this spur also served by the new ALTER (SP?) scrap metal facility? Or, is that further to the West?

Date: 10/09/13 15:35
Author: twjurgens

Good shots Gary! I've been wanting to get shots up there too. So far, have gotten shots at ADM twice but nothing north of Cornhusker.

Date: 10/09/13 15:39
Author: MP555

Actually, both units derated to 2500 HP.

Date: 10/09/13 16:35
Author: binder001

CP_M260 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't this spur also served by the new ALTER (SP?)
> scrap metal facility? Or, is that further to the
> West?

Yes, but Alter Metals is EAST of Cleaver Brooks. North 70th Street is in the background and Alter is just across 70th Street to the east. After the units worked the boiler plant they went east and pulled a CNW gondola of scrap metal. The same set of spurs also serves a large concrete products company and somebody that uses some large covered hoppers. There is a beer distributor in the background that used to get rail shipments, but their switch has been taken out.

Date: 10/09/13 18:21
Author: upkpfan

Where is the side pic. of the car and load? Always need to get that. upkpfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0395 seconds