Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > U P traffic through Las Vagas Nv

Date: 11/02/13 22:51
U P traffic through Las Vagas Nv
Author: jayb61

my guess without any clues is 1 nb, 1 sb local,1 nb and 1 sb manifest, SLC-LA and 1 the opposite direction, assorted irregular coal drags. tyia

Date: 11/03/13 00:15
Re: U P traffic through Las Vagas Nv
Author: RustyRayls

We don't get a lot of traffic, but it ain't that bad. We get the ZLAAH in the morning around 7:00 AM and the ZLADV anywhere from noon to 3:00 PM. We also get the KG1LB some "I" trains. Manifest trains are WCRO/ROWC and WCNP/NPWC. Also some unit ethanol trains and a few coal trains. It works out to 12 to 15 trains in a 24 Hr day. I'll have a better handle on it after the 1st of the year when I have more time to monitor the traffic.

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 11/03/13 08:05
Author: mapboy

Here's my LA&SL train list from 12/2012- <http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2952656,2953845#msg-2953845&gt; I'll be in Vegas around Thanksgiving and should be able to update the list some. Some changes are the ZLAAH that Old Bob mentioned, and the iron ore loads now go to Long Beach Harbor (SA Recycling) as OISLS and not to Stockton/Richmond anymore.

mapboy

Date: 11/03/13 13:57
Author: Copy19

Back in the 1950s I did most of my train watching in Las Vegas at the passenger depot. Usually it was pretty quiet except for the Fairbanks-Morse switcher kicking cars down the lead into the yard. I never saw a freight enter or leave the yard. I figured they must have to run sometime because the yard was always full of cars. My dad would be patient for about an hour then we would have to leave to pick up my mother and sister who would be shopping downtown.

The train board on the depot had plenty of passenger trains, up to five each way as I recall: The City of Los Angeles, The City of St.Louis, The Challenger. The Pony Express and The Passenger ( mail train with a coach or two and a sleeper between Vegas and L.A.). There were also Park specials in season. My elderly aunt used to ride the Pony Express when she came up from Los Angeles to visit. The haughty City of Los Angeles was pretty mysterious to me then due to its middle of the night stops in Vegas.

When I was old enough to drive and expanded my horizons I did find and photograph UP's elusive freight trains behind the Strip and out at Sloan, a favorite spot because of the big curve.

JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/13 14:17 by Copy19.

Date: 11/03/13 18:32
Author: vegasrails

From what I've seen and heard there's still two track age right trains from BNSF

Date: 11/03/13 19:33
Author: zchcsse

vegasrails Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From what I've seen and heard there's still two
> track age right trains from BNSF

Rarely and inconsistently. Only if BNSF needs to detour something due to their own problems, or, more likely, problems on parts of the UP system that BNSF has trackage rights on (such as the Moffat Sub earlier this year).

Date: 11/03/13 20:07
Author: ProAmtrak

That line's intersting, especially since traffic's been that sparaodic since the 80s-early 90s!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds