Home Open Account Help 193 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Monday Meets: Meet me at Columbus

Date: 01/20/14 06:26
Monday Meets: Meet me at Columbus
Author: santafe199

Going into the final winter of my RR career I had re-emerged into the world of active railfan photography. And I was shooting everything. I had purchased a Nikon P-90 point & shoot and was well into an interesting, but sometimes frustrating digital learning curve. But even with a complete novice (read: digital dinosaur) behind a camera it was pretty hard to screw up a perfectly sunlit shot. Even through tinted engine cab glass.

This would be one of the last really good meet shots of my combined RR career/railfan photography overlap. Within a year or so of shooting this meet, this kind of a picture would become a hugely dangerous no-no according to the feds (even though fiddling with a camera helped me to stay awake numerous times in my career). But I wouldn’t have to worry about it. I would make my last working trip the following May.

Enjoy this in-cab meet scene while you can. Pretty soon it will be extinct.

1. BNSF 7276 on an EB grain empty in the hole at Columbus, MT on November 19, 2009. Taken from the cab of KCS 4577 on BNSF train H KCKPAS 9-16 with trailing unit KCS 4025, 68 loads, 15 empties & 6940 tons.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 01/20/14 07:01
Re: Monday Meets: Meet me at Columbus
Author: 3rdswitch

Occasionally I actually miss these views ;-) Nice catch.
JB

Date: 01/20/14 07:07
Author: wheel_slip

Well done!

Andy

Date: 01/20/14 07:57
Author: Milepost_130

Loved the image and the story. Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds