Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > couple Joint Line . .

Date: 03/31/14 14:10
couple Joint Line . .
Author: 3rdswitch

. . yes, that's what I said, again. After a tip of a possible southbound with a pair of CN units leading headed north toward Denver along the joint UP-BNSF Joint Line Denver Pueblo main but no sign of the foreigners. After waiting twenty minutes or so at Orsa siding in Castle Rock where a new over pass is being built I heard the BNSF 8201 south calling foreman Valahsio (probably not even close to the real spelling but you get the idea) Well that's not so bad, either a new unit or Warbonnet 75M, turned out to be a factory fresh ES44AC (I think?) along with another new one (8099) and an old one hauling freight instead of coal passing Orso siding with new overpass construction visible in the distance (top). This will greatly speed up exiting this area when chasing. Had to grab another shot at the very photographed exSanta Fe bridge over Spruce Mtn Road on the south side of Larkspur (middle) then doubled back north to intercept BNSF's twice a week to Colorado Springs Pikes Peak Local which I heard leave Big Lift earlier than normal catching him at another often photographed spot on the north side of Larkspur (bottom). It was tough light conditions but ended up being another great day along the Joint Line in the neighborhood.
JB

Date: 03/31/14 14:26
Re: couple Joint Line . .
Author: CCMF

ES44C4, current order is for 8007-8281. For now they skipped the 8100's to get the SD60M's out of the way first. The SD75 renumbering is going quickly.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 03/31/14 15:03

Thanks, appreciate the information.
JB

Date: 03/31/14 17:05

The day is not over. After hearing of a northbound train with Boeing fuselages on it by CREWS HOURS ago I kept my eyes on the ATCS as after the two southbounds posted above the powers that be tucked a couple of northbounds away in the sidings at Academy and Monument for one more southbound BNSF manifest which I headed down to the area formerly known as Palmer Lake to catch since he had an ex Santa Fe warbonnet leading (top) then proceeded to the Palmer Lake "secret spot" (the knoll on the big curve around what used to be the lake) and waited for the first northbound to come out of Monument siding to see IF it was the Boeing train, it was not but just another typical northbound coal empty albeit with a KCS Belle second out (middle) then the DS lined up another southbound which turned out to be BNSF coal load number six for the day led by another very new AC (bottom). The day is almost over and I did not catch the CN's which **update** just passed with a BNSF leader and the train in the siding at Academy which must be the Boeings is still there with another northbound lined out of Springs around it, ended up catching a few other interesting trains today so the day was not a total bust. Just another day in the neighborhood on the Joint Line I guess.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/14 17:42 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 03/31/14 17:24
Author: Cajon92

Very nice series, especially #3. Thanks for sharing,

~Ryan

Date: 03/31/14 17:42
Author: DKay

Very nice JB.To bad about the lake,that used to look real nice.
Regards,DK

Date: 03/31/14 18:12
Author: Torisgod

DKay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice JB.To bad about the lake,that used to
> look real nice.

Yes, why exactly did the lake go? It couldn't have exactly dried up by itself, could it have?

Tor in Eugene

Date: 03/31/14 18:56

Not sure of all the details but I "believe" the lake was fed by both a spring and a reservoir. Word is, with the current four year old drought the spring dried up and the reservoir help was turned off do to legalities having to do with supply from the south (Arkansas River) and drainage both directions meaning some Arkansas River water was draining into the Platte? As I stated I do not know the details just tidbits. I have "heard" it is only the second time in it's existance that it has been dry.
JB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0608 seconds