Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Solid FXE, Notched Nose & More . . .

Date: 04/13/14 08:44
Solid FXE, Notched Nose & More . . .
Author: SCKP187

Yesterday was a big day for variety on the UP in Oklahoma. The day's purpose was to capture the solid set of FXE power and FXE covered hoppers northbound headed for Nebraska City NE at Talala OK with FXE 4084-4050.

Earlier in the day while farther south at McAlester OK, UP 5191, a notched nose SD70M for Luke on a northbound junk manifest noted by SP8595 as rare leaders.

One of the main reasons for going as far south as McAlester was to get some shots of caboose UP 25547 on display at a theme restaurant (not sure it is still in operation?) This caboose was used by my dad many trips in his Conductor's Book on the KP in Salina KS. between Salina and Ellis KS. I noted the familiar wear on the door, as you usually had to lean into them or kick the bottom with your toe when opening them to prevent yourself from face-planting into a stuck door.

And when traveling further away from home you naturally find new shooting locations like this one at Coal Creek Rd. & US 69 between Canadian and McAlester OK--a quiet road with overhead bridge to shoot UP 5622-5690-5952 with an oil or ethanol? train southbound.

The last shot, actually the first of the day, UP 8612 leading a southbd auto rack with what seemed an unusually clean, smooth and sleek looking UP 6214, a former SP AC44.
Photos April 12 2014. Thanks for looking.
Brian Stevens
2 more to follow

Date: 04/13/14 08:45
Re: Solid FXE, Notched Nose & More . . .
Author: SCKP187

last 2

Date: 04/13/14 08:54
Author: SP8595

Great shot of the FerroMex's and that is an Excellent location where you shot that 5622!

UP 5622 was a loaded ethanol train (UEY9DD-08) It was interchanged to the UP from the NCRC (Nebraska Central) at Grand Island, NE heading to Pasadena, TX.
UP 8612: AAMEW-10 (Auto-Armourdale yard/Kansas City-Englewood/Houston, TX)

Date: 04/13/14 09:01
Author: BNSF-6432

Nice catch and shot on the FXE power! I also really like that bridge shot

Date: 04/13/14 13:17
Author: Red

Always LOVED those UP 5127--5231 SD70Ms with the AAR Control Stands and the straight 26L brakes--and to think that they weren't even in the UPRR's Capital Budget for 2004--but added in for late 2004 before EMD transitioned over to the SD70ACe line. I do believe that they were "addon units" to the NS SD70Ms being built at that time, just as the first 10 NS SD70Ms were "addons" to the original historic "Largest in History Order by a single RR for a single model" 1,000 unit UPRR SD70M order (those being the only ones sporting desktop controls).

I do love the photos--and there's really something that grabs me about the Ferromex scheme. I do believe that the UPRR has a large ownership stake in it if I'm not mistaken? Perhaps not a controlling interest such as the KCS had in the former TFM--now KCSM--but a rather substantial interest in it and sort of an offset to the KCS reach into Mexico? Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think I've got it right...

Date: 04/13/14 14:43
Author: Geep

Red Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Always LOVED those UP 5127--5231 SD70Ms with the
> AAR Control Stands and the straight 26L
> brakes--and to think that they weren't even in the
> UPRR's Capital Budget for 2004--but added in for
> late 2004 before EMD transitioned over to the
> SD70ACe line. I do believe that they were "addon
> units" to the NS SD70Ms being built at that time,
> just as the first 10 NS SD70Ms were "addons" to
> the original historic "Largest in History Order by
> a single RR for a single model" 1,000 unit UPRR
> SD70M order (those being the only ones sporting
> desktop controls).
>
> I do love the photos--and there's really something
> that grabs me about the Ferromex scheme. I do
> believe that the UPRR has a large ownership stake
> in it if I'm not mistaken? Perhaps not a
> controlling interest such as the KCS had in the
> former TFM--now KCSM--but a rather substantial
> interest in it and sort of an offset to the KCS
> reach into Mexico? Somebody please correct me if
> I'm wrong here, but I think I've got it right...

I believe UP owns 26% of FXE stock or so...

Date: 04/14/14 05:43
Author: ns1000

GOOD stuff...!! Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0624 seconds