Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CMSP&P switch-stand?

Date: 04/15/14 04:43
CMSP&P switch-stand?
Author: Sylvester-K54

I purchased this switch stand in Washington state last week and was wondering about it's heritage. Based on two photos I've seen on this site, I believe it is a former CMSP&P switch stand.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

TIA

Robert Casares
San Antonio, TX

Date: 04/15/14 06:35
Re: CMSP&P switch-stand?
Author: SR2

Yes, with the chevron shaped day-target, and lower shape, it is definitely Milwaukee Road!

Date: 04/15/14 07:16
Author: fbe

No, it is certainly NOT Milwaukee Road. The MILW chevron had 5 or 6 bands tall. The MILW mechanism was geared and the handle threw 180 degrees not the 90 degrees of this item shown. Nice hardware you have.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 04/15/14 09:19
Author: TCnR

Just photographed one in the Mineral Washington area, as has been said it has more chevrons, about six depending on what you're counting. In that sense this has three.

But it is a nice looking historical item from the past.

Date: 04/15/14 11:13

Thanks for your responses today. The switch-stand and flagpole are about 4 feet tall. I noticed that the units in other photos are taller and have more chevrons.

RJ

Date: 04/15/14 12:57
Author: stampedej

As for the switchstand itself, it looks like one made by Nelson Foundry. Is a name cast anywhere on the switch? Both GN and Milwaukee used a target close to the one you have. This target looks shop made. Where in WA did it come from?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/15/14 20:19

This switch-stand came from the collection of a gentleman who passed on last year. I felt it appropriate to ask the widow
where her husband acquired it. I thought it would look nice in my collection.

There is no name that I could see on the stand, unlike the Star-Pettibone, etc switches that SP and other railroads used.

Thank you!

RJ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0312 seconds