Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP 8142 at Ivanpah, California

Date: 04/20/14 18:06
UP 8142 at Ivanpah, California
Author: syscom3

DRGW had a couple great shots of UP8142 between Barstow and Victorville. By fate, I was in the Mojave National Scenic Preserve at Ivanpah, in the morning and caught this same train. Here's some pictures. I will get the video posted this week.

This train went on the siding once it reached this location and eventually came to a stop. A eastbound manifest passed by it and once was clear, the stack train began it's slow assent up Cima hill.

Picture one shows UP8142 on the siding. This location also has a 3rd siding reserved for MOW cars. In the past, ore cars were spotted to be loaded with product from the gold mines in the area. And I would also suspect cattle cars would take soon to be steaks to market.

Date: 04/20/14 18:10
Re: UP 8142 at Ivanpah, California

Picture 1: The primary siding has jointed rails with 1939 markings. The secondary siding has 1903 75lbs rail.

Picture 2: I headed up the tracks to set up for the train I knew was coming. Here you can see the eastbound manifest making its way towards Las Vegas.

Picture 3: Tail engine meets up with head end unit.

Date: 04/20/14 18:15

Picture 1; The eastbound manifest was really picking up speed.

Picture 2: Now that the manifest was passed the block, the stack train could continue its journey.

Picture 3: Something different. The desert is alive with the wildflowers blooming. Here's one with the switch indicator for the Ivanpah secondary siding.

Thanks for looking!

Date: 04/20/14 22:21
Author: Cajon92

Very nice series.

~Ryan

Date: 04/21/14 15:51
Author: ns1000

GOOD stuff...!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 04/22/14 19:19
Author: Lairport

The line was built by Sen. Clark's Los Angeles, San Pedro and Salt lake RR. UP took it over much later.
That might explain why the Belgian Rail used at that time.

Date: 04/28/14 21:09
Author: Trainman702

That Manifest Train is the MWCRO. It normally doesn't have a DPU, 4 to 5 engines up front, and usually has lots of gondolas and tanks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds