Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Got'em again at Lakeview, KS.

Date: 07/14/14 09:18
Got'em again at Lakeview, KS.
Author: lilwes

I went to Lakeview, KS. this morning to catch Amtrak #4 that was running 2+ hours late. When it came into view I saw that it was units 145 and 822 again. Tacked onto the end were the Amtrak business cars. All must be returning to Chicago today. A word about Lakeview. I may have told this story before but here comes anyway. As a boy growing up in Lecompton, KS. this crossing was always referred to as the "Popcorn siding." There was a farmer that had several hundred acres of popcorn growing here that were contracted to the MGM line of theaters across America. My Dad and uncles spent many nights coon hunting in the hills around Lakeview and the popcorn siding. The house track where the loading of the popcorn was done is now gone, but the wide spot on the south side of the tracks west of the crossing is where it was.
Thanks for looking;
later...Wes

Wes Chiles
Topeka, KS

Date: 07/14/14 09:47
Re: Got'em again at Lakeview, KS.
Author: EspeeGoldenState

Train was a beast, 5 units and 14 cars. Don't see that very often on the Chief. I caught it just west of Holliday and at KCY.

Chris

Date: 07/14/14 13:51
Author: santafe199

Zowie! Nice catch!!!

Lance

Date: 07/14/14 14:19
Author: JoCoLB

I've never been to that location. Was the train moving directional south at this crossing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/14 09:22 by JoCoLB.

Date: 07/14/14 16:00
Author: SCKP187

Nice catch Wes--I like the length of the train along the pole line.
Brian Stevens

Date: 07/14/14 16:57
Author: lilwes

It's going east here. It's about 2 miles west of the power plant where it turns right and starts going south.
later...Wes

Wes Chiles
Topeka, KS

Date: 07/14/14 19:27
Author: mmisin2

Riverview Farms ran the popcorn operation and is still in business. Up until the 19 teens this was a popular excursion station on the ATSF. We must have missed each other by minutes this morning. I have photos of the Topeka/Lawrence local at this location from tonight.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/14/14 19:39
Author: UP951West

Good action shot, Wes ! --Kelly

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.028 seconds