Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Fort Summit by Moonlight

Date: 07/17/14 08:36
Fort Summit by Moonlight
Author: CimaScrambler

For a lot of years I have avoided the brilliantly-lit summit area of Cajon Pass at night. However last Friday night I found myself camping out on top of a nearby hill, so I though, what the heck! and got the camera out of the bag. The lighting is challenging, but under a very full moon, it can be balanced well enough to get the job done.

So here we have Fort Summit at night.

Be safe out there -

- Kit

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/14 13:42 by CimaScrambler.

Date: 07/17/14 09:16
Re: Fort Summit
Author: SCKP187

This is really cool stuff. Thanks for showing.
Brian Stevens

Date: 07/17/14 09:37
Author: 3rdswitch

Outstanding images. Great catch on the double UP's.
JB

Date: 07/17/14 14:05
Author: Out_Of_Service

Kit your knowledge and experience on the use of light or should i say lack of and as you put it "balancing" has me scratching my head in amazement everytime i see your lunar light images ... as usual here's my comment when i see any your images ...

OUTSTANDING

Date: 07/17/14 21:19
Author: CimaScrambler

In this case, as with most scenes that have "urban light" in them as well as moonlight, the balancing act is usually just waiting for a moon that puts out the right amount of light to fill in around the urban "main light". In this case, since the lighting around Fort Summit is so bright, that meant the brightest moon available, which was the recent "super moon". Though a high winter moon might have been brighter, it would also have been straight overhead instead of about 35 degrees above the southern horizon, thus producing no shadows. That kind of flat light never looks very good. The low southern moon was just about right for this scene.

It does take a little engineering to figure it out, but I'm used to that.

Be safe -

- Kit

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 07/18/14 09:51
Author: ns1000

VERY NICE...!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds