Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > My KCS Belle Curse Ends

Date: 07/17/14 18:53
My KCS Belle Curse Ends
Author: kevink

Until last Sunday (7/13), I was never able to catch a KCS Belle leading a train. They are somewhat common on BNSF trains in the Chicago area but are always trailing when I've seen them. I had to work Sunday to make a project deadline this week and on the way home decided take the railfan route which takes me through La Grange, IL. There is a nice park at the corner of 47th Street and East Avenue where the Indiana Harbor Belts's Western Sub crosses both streets as it curves to head north. There is a signal bridge that controls the south end of CP La Grange visible to the north of 47th Street that provides advance notice of westbound trains. There is an intermediate signal bridge east of East Avenue that is constantly dark for two of the three tracks (Track 1, and Track 2)and usually red over lunar for the other track (Track 21). Once a westbound hits the crossing of the BNSF Chillicothe Sub (McCook), the red over lunar goes dark giving you about 5 minutes to pick your spot. When I reached the park, the signals for Track 1 were yellow over yellow which indicated a westbound was going to cross over to Track 21.

I was completely surprised to see a Belle, KCS 4691, coming around the curve on Track 1. This was a transfer freight from the Belt Railway heading for the UP's Proviso Yard.

I hung around for a few minutes after the train passed and was rewarded when the northbound signals changed to green over read for Track 2. I decided to try using one of the large park trees to frame the shot. This is a risky move most of the time due to cars using a shortcut from northbound East Avenue to westbound 47th Street. On a weekday, there are usually cars blocking the shot I planned. A few minutes later, IHB 4019 and 4015 came around the curve. This was probably a transfer heading to the CP at Bensenville.

Date: 07/17/14 19:22
Re: My KCS Belle Curse Ends
Author: DynamicBrake

A couple of nice shots there. I really like the HB paint scheme. Thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 07/17/14 20:55
Author: 3rdswitch

Awesome pair of shots.
JB

Date: 07/18/14 06:15
Author: oklachaser

Great photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 07/18/14 10:04
Author: ns1000

NICE pics!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0351 seconds