Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > More Wildfire News

Date: 07/19/14 17:04
More Wildfire News
Author: funnelfan

Wind Really kicked up today, and is fueling several new fires at the moment. The Shaniko Butte Fire north of Madras, OR is buring on the west rim of the Deschutes River Canyon. Fire fighters set back fires along 8 miles of the BNSF Oregon Trunk to remove fuel in the path of that fire which will help keep it away from the BNSF, unless winds kick it across the canyon or elsewhere.

New fires have started near Beverly near the west end of the old MILW Columbia River Bridge, north of Odessa, and just south of me between the BNSF and UP near Fishtrap/Wells. Very windy here at the moment and UP may be in serious trouble between Wells and Cheney. going to go check that out from the upwind side of the fire.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/19/14 17:36
Re: More Wildfire News
Author: Ritzville

I was sure these strong winds of about 35MPH in Ritzville were causing some grim damage elsewhere. I hope the wind lets up soon to help the fire fighters. A very serious situation!

Larry

Date: 07/19/14 19:50
Author: unclebob

Stay safe! And I will pray that mother nature changes her mind and brings some rains.

Mike

Date: 07/19/14 21:05
Author: funnelfan

The Watermelon Hill Fire at Pine Springs Rd and Lance Hill Rd. A northbound Union Pacific Train raced through the flames talking about ties on fire and flames taller than the locomotive. This is extremely bad situation with gusting winds and the fire is moving east by northeast from Fishtrap Lake toward Spangle. The fire is beyond Amber Lake and likely into the Turnbull Wildlife Refuge. UP's Ayer sub between Cheney and Wells, WA will likely be out of service for several days until the track is repaired.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/19/14 21:05
Author: thehighwayman

Several serious fires burning to the north of you folks in British Columbia.
National tv news at 11:00 pm says rain expected in next couple of days to help cool things down ... I certainly hope that a lot of it spills over into Washington State!

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 07/19/14 21:54
Author: TCnR

Often times it's a change in the weather that puts the large fires out. A huge amount of manpower goes againest the larger fires which saves lives, protects many homes and property. They can do a little steering but it's usually a change in wind direction or rain that puts them out.

Here in Northern California fires from a few weeks ago are still burning and putting out quite a bit of smoke. They get a containment percentage, but the fire could still go out of control with the wrong weather.

There is monsoonal moisture sweeping up from the southern California. It's a bit early but it may be what we need. Hopefully some rain and not lightning.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds