Home Open Account Help 194 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Kansas and Oklahoma in McPherson Ks

Date: 08/02/14 21:03
Kansas and Oklahoma in McPherson Ks
Author: ns2557

On my way home to Colorado, went thru McPherson Ks on US54. Passing by the stately Courthouse there, I spotted a few units close by. Upon further investigating I found 7 units total. Here are 2 sets of 2 sitting at the old ATSF Station here. 3910 on the Left and 3905 on the right. Even tho that black paint is hard to shoot sometimes, that yellow more than makes up for it. On this trip thru the area, I shot a total of 7 K&O units btwn here and Ness City Ks. Only 3 I didn't get shots of were one of the ex CN GP40-2LW's and 2 others in K&O Blk and Yellow east of Ness City this morning. Did get 2 ex UP GP39-2's, the 3947 and 3943 in Ness City tho. Both were still in UP Pnt. Just another day along the back roads of this great country of ours. Never know what'll appear in the next couple of miles. That's what I enjoy about what I do. Ya'll take care.Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/14 21:04 by ns2557.

Date: 08/02/14 21:09
Re: Kansas and Oklahoma in McPherson Ks
Author: chester

You might want to check your highway numbers. 54 highway goes through Wichita not McPherson. Highway 56 goes through McPherson.

Date: 08/02/14 21:26

You are most def correct. I lost track of what Highway I was on as I started out on US54 over in Collins Mo and headed west. Thanks for the correction. Ben

Date: 08/02/14 22:12
Author: mmisin2

Any idea how often the KO visits Larned and points West? Great pictures...

Posted from Android

Date: 08/02/14 22:32

Not sure about there ops in this area, as it's the first time in over 4 years I have been thru here. What I do know is west of McPherson on the line twds Great Bend, an awful lot of tank cars are along the line. And west of Great Bend this am, I found 1 train of Covered Hoppers just east of Ness City and 2 units in Ness City itself. So they at least run as far west as Ness City Ks, but which days, I have no idea. Track does not look real good, but it is better than DOT/FRA Excepted Trackage, as they run Haz Mat out this end. Ben

Date: 08/03/14 15:35
Author: upkpfan

They can't get any farther West of McPherson that the little town just West of Conway as the line is gone from there on West. upkpfan

Date: 08/03/14 17:25

upkpfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They can't get any farther West of McPherson that
> the little town just West of Conway as the line is
> gone from there on West. upkpfan

They were at least as far west as Ness City. Caught 2 trains there on this morning, one just east of Ness City and a switch Job in Ness City itself. Not sure where you are talking about, but it is at least 60 miles or so fromMcPherson to Ness City. Stopped in Great Bend for the night and track was still intact there.. It also looked like it was from there west to Ness City. Just sayin..... Ben

Date: 08/03/14 22:38
Author: The_Chief_Way

Ness City and beyond are serviced from Great Bend.
There is a gap between Conway and Lyons

Date: 08/05/14 20:07
Author: unclebob

Yes, the old ATSF line west of McPherson from Conway to Lyons is gone.

Ness City line comes up the ex-MP from Wichita to Hutchinson, then splits at Sterling, KS.

One line goes north at Sterling to Lyons and on up to the ex-MP Colorado Eagle KC-Pueblo mainline from Geneseo on west.
The other line follows the ex-ATSF on a NW course to Great Bend. At Great Bend the line splits and goes SW to Larned and on west to Hanston now, I believe. The second line at Great Bend heads NW out to Ness City and meets the MP line at Scott City.

Here is a link to the Watco map for the K&O that should help.
http://www.watcocompanies.com/Railroads/ko/ko_map.htm

Hope this helps out a little.
Mike

PS - GREAT PHOTO!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/14 20:08 by unclebob.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0549 seconds