Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Depot Friday: Frederick OK...

Date: 08/22/14 04:24
Depot Friday: Frederick OK...
Author: oklachaser

Frederick OK is in Tillman County in far southwest OK 14 miles from the OK/TX state-line. The SLSF ran thru the town at one time. Now 2 short-line RRs go thru there. GNBC(Grainbelt Corp part of Farmrail) & WT&J(Wichita, Tillman & Jackson). Frederick has a really nice museum showing their history as well as the history of the SLSF. They grow alot of cotton in Tillman county; you can see some growing by the depot & caboose. I also learned from my Dad that some of my ancestors on the Thomas side lived there at one time. Sorry for the quality of these pictures. The sun had already set & I was shooting thru a fence with no tripod.
Photos taken August 19, 2014.

Photos 1-3: Frederick Frisco Depot.

3 more to follow.

Date: 08/22/14 04:26
Re: Depot Friday: Frederick OK...

Photos 4-6: Depot & Frisco #12003 caboose.

Thanks for looking.
Ronda Thomas

Date: 08/22/14 13:34
Author: mp1853

Thanks for the pics, Rhoda. Oddly enough my step-brother-in law Don Stebbens was the Frisco agent at Fredrick in the 70's. He finished his Frisco service as agent at Blackwell, OK and thence had to take disability retirement from that position in late '80's due to a bad heart. Rec'd a heart transplant in OKC in 1989 and and passed away January, 1992.

At one time in his career he was an operator at Hallett Tower (MKT Parsons KS-OKC & SLSF Tulsa-Avard lines) in Pawnee County, OK. Have not been that way on Cimarron Turnpike for quite a while. Question to Oklahoma guru's: Is the tower still extant?

Thanks

Date: 08/22/14 16:15
Author: santafe199

Good job shooting! I'd bet we've all done that shoot-through-a-fence routine at one time or another. Sorta makes you feel like you're on some spy mission...

I really like the composition in #4!

Lance

Date: 08/22/14 17:11
Author: MP4093

mp1853 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
The tower has recently been torn down.
>
> At one time in his career he was an operator at
> Hallett Tower (MKT Parsons KS-OKC & SLSF
> Tulsa-Avard lines) in Pawnee County, OK. Have not
> been that way on Cimarron Turnpike for quite a
> while. Question to Oklahoma guru's: Is the tower
> still extant?
>
> Thanks

Date: 08/22/14 22:30

Thanks to MP4093 for your response,I guess. Bearer of bad tidings I suppose. Another one of "should have,could have and did not do" which happens to young and old folks alike in our avocation. I thought I would do a combat raid on Hallett Tower in September but it appears my bucket list has sprung a really, really bad leak in it. What a shame.

Moral of this missile is: get them while you can.

Thanks for the info MP4093

MP1853

Date: 08/23/14 06:08

Here are a few shots of the MKT/SLSF interlocker tower at Hallett OK I took on February 10, 2013.

Ronda Thomas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/14 07:00 by oklachaser.

Date: 08/23/14 12:08

WOW! Now that is pretty slick and sad at the same time! I commend you and Brian for your effort on my behalf plus I love to see your submissions on this site. I have a few stories regarding Cushing,OK when the MKT OKC line was about 1/4 mile from two aunts that lived there when the world was very young. For me, in any case. Better not relate though because the site monitors will slap me if I don't put the narratives on the nostalgia site.

Once again, I do appreciate you folks endeavor.

mp1853

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0757 seconds