Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF 9710 Eastbound - Four transients on pusher unit BN

Date: 09/13/14 21:16
BNSF 9710 Eastbound - Four transients on pusher unit BN
Author: kgrr

Skykomish, WA. At about 6:40PM The oil train headed by BNSF9710 came to a stop and was met by Washington State Patrol. They removed four transients and four dogs from the pusher unit BNSF 984 at the end. After the oil train was back on it's way, the State Patrol officer let them go in Skykomish. Their plan from here: hop the next train going east.

Date: 09/13/14 21:24
Re: BNSF 9710 Eastbound - Four transients on pusher uni
Author: coastdaylight

kgrr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Skykomish, WA. At about 6:40PM The oil train
> headed by BNSF9710 came to a stop and was met by
> Washington State Patrol. They removed four
> transients and four dogs from the pusher unit BNSF
> 984 at the end. After the oil train was back on
> it's way, the State Patrol officer let them go in
> Skykomish. Their plan from here: hop the next
> train going east.

I like this, they just let them go! I show up trackside with a camera and get threatened with a citation, arrest under the Homeland security act, because some idiot believes photographing trains is illegal. I'm not even on railroad property, and these guys are riding in a locomotive! Where's the justice?

Date: 09/13/14 21:29

Two more photos of the oil train...

Date: 09/13/14 21:37

Exactly! So there were four people TRESPASSING INSIDE of BNSF 984 ... the cop get lets them go.
I was there taking pictures of the incident from City of Skykomish property and would have to face the music
for some made-up crime.

Don't you just LOVE this?

Better yet, King County Police does not want to come out here until tomorrow morning.
And, I'm not sure that BNSF police is aware that the transients are just going to hop the next train that pulls
into the siding up here.

Date: 09/14/14 00:26
Author: coach

coastdaylight Wrote:

> I like this, they just let them go! I show up
> trackside with a camera and get threatened with a
> citation, arrest under the Homeland security act,
> because some idiot believes photographing trains
> is illegal. I'm not even on railroad property, and
> these guys are riding in a locomotive! Where's
> the justice?

EXACTLY--total proof of the madness with Homeland Insecurity. Go after the good people, and while letting the bums go. Gotta remember this one...

Date: 09/14/14 07:26
Author: ALCO630

They must have more important things to worry about.

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 09/14/14 07:39
Author: seod

Because Railfans are whats called "soft targets". Most of them are not going to get angry and start shooting or fighting they just leave. Then the Special agent gets to file a report about how well he is protecting the property. No hassle no mess and you go home in one piece.

Scott

Date: 09/14/14 08:10

So the hobos have trained the police to let them go by making threats of blowing up and torching the town.

I think it would be a very wise move for BNSF and other railroads to lock-up DPs so they don't become a flop house on wheels. Or, at the very least, the DPs should have an occupancy sensor.

Date: 09/14/14 08:18
Author: Milw_E70

kgrr Wrote:
> I think it would be a very wise move for BNSF and
> other railroads to lock-up DPs so they don't
> become a flop house on wheels.

If they are equipped with the new door locks then yes, we are already required to lock them. Most of the older Dash 9s aren't equipped yet...

Date: 09/14/14 09:50
Author: portlander

Exactly how many railfans have been arrested and taken to jail?

Date: 09/14/14 09:54
Author: SN711

It may have something to do with what BNSF has requested the local/state police to do with trespassers. Specifically, If BNSF has not requested that all trespassers found riding in locomotives be cited for trespassing, then this is what will likely happen most of the time. The local police may not want to invest a lot of time or effort and may not understand how much of a hazard this might be. I would think a trespasser riding in a locomotive is a lot more of a threat or hazard than a person just walking along the tracks. As long as the subjects have no outstanding warrants, then they are kicked loose. BNSF Police may have handled it differently, but it could depend upon how the state railroad trespassing laws are written. Some states may require more posted signage than others. That is why a lot of offenders are just given warnings.

Depends a lot on the local agencies involved. I think I could do cartwheels down the center of the track and one agency would keep on driving by. On the other hand, going back at least 35 years, another agency that I am aware has been going out of their way to help enforce railroad related laws in their city.

Gary

Date: 09/14/14 10:54
Author: CCMF

Last month I was in Savanna, IL and had the chance to chat with three kids (with three dogs) who were waiting to hop a train to Chicago. They seemed very knowledgeable if not necessarily real intelligent about what they were doing. One described which cars they could ride easily and which ones not, and also mentioned that DPU's are seldom locked and the air conditioning was always nice. They were very matter-of-fact about their lifestyle. It is just accepted that now and then they will get busted and soon be on their way once again. Apparently most riders will soon be heading south for the winter. The BNSF hi-line is quite busy with riders during the summer.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 09/14/14 17:48
Author: Rathole

It's likely no one from BNSF pressed charges, so they were let go.

Date: 09/14/14 19:39

There have been quite a few discussions about railfans arrested for taking photos. Here are several samples of what I'm talking about.

Western Railroad Discussion > 16 Year Old Arrested For Railfanning On Public Property
Western Railroad Discussion > UP avoids incident after team poses on tracks

Also Google for "Duane Kerzic arrested by Amtrak police"

Date: 09/15/14 00:35
Author: 6ET

I sure feel like an easy target! I lived near BNSF tracks as a teen, and i got picked up by the special agent for walking across the tracks (trespassing) that wasn't at a grade crossing, heading home. the local police got involved, BNSF special agent says no charges pressed to my parents, and then two weeks later the DA pressed charges against me. Probably because I had an address unlike these folks. I agree, where is the justice!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/15/14 00:45
Author: texaswestern70mac

several years ago i got invited to the cab of a BNSF coal load on the wichita falls sub here in dfw. the engineer mentioned bums riding in trailing units or dpu's is a very common occurance. if the transients/ hobos dont piss in the cab or start being unruly, they usually play a blind eye to them. hoboeing isnt dead by any means. its just not as open air as it was back in the 80's or 90's when railfans would even hitch rides across the country on trains or cab ride entire divisions with friends they had working for the railroad.

Will Hemb
Flower Mound, TX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1228 seconds