Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Loram surprise

Date: 09/19/14 20:54
Loram surprise
Author: atsf121

Spotted a Loram rail grinder yesterday afternoon on the way to my son's school for parent-teacher conference. Didn't have time to swing by afterwards, so after I dropped him off at school this morning I went to look for it but it was gone. On the way home from a very late birthday party for my other son we spotted the grinder again, sitting at the same spot in the unused spur for Holcim cement products in Lehi, UT which is on UP's Provo Sub. So after I got our girls to bed, I kissed my wife and ran to get some pictures before the sun went down. Not sure how long it will be around so I'm glad I was able to get some pictures today, was worried this morning that I had completely missed it.

Was curious about the details on this unit, it's much smaller in terms of length and height compared to the ones I've seen previously in Utah and California. Those trains had tank cars, fire hoses (saw them using those once to put out a grass fire they started along Highway 99 in California), and lots of different cars. This train only has 3 units total. The height also made me wonder if this is a clone of a European design or built for smaller spaces like a subway. I've seen quick glances of the rail grinder BART uses in the SF Bay Area and this reminded me of that unit. Also, is this like a locomotive where they have to designate one end as the front? I didn't look for a little F in my hurry to get some photos.

Nathan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/14 20:55 by atsf121.

Date: 09/20/14 08:21
Re: Loram surprise
Author: BAB

Looks unused fresh off of the assembly line as there looks to be a paper tag attached to the hose on one end.

Date: 09/20/14 17:40
Author: SoldierSummitRailfan

This type of grinder is used for switches and crossings and detectors and other small areas that the mainline grinders can't grind without breaking stuff

Posted from Android

Date: 09/22/14 08:43
Author: atsf121

SoldierSummitRailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This type of grinder is used for switches and
> crossings and detectors and other small areas that
> the mainline grinders can't grind without breaking
> stuff
>
> Posted from Android

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. My son and I spotted it this morning on the way to school and it looked like it was going back and forth at a crossing.

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0642 seconds