Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CP "steams ahead with St. Paul rail yard expansion"

Date: 09/20/14 03:32
CP "steams ahead with St. Paul rail yard expansion"
Author: JPB

Date: 09/20/14 07:49
Re: CP "steams ahead with St. Paul rail yard expansion"
Author: chico

Former Kalmbach employee, railfan, now spokesperson for CP, Andy Cummings, is quoted in the story. Way to go Andy! Good job rebutting the nimbys.

Chico

Date: 09/20/14 07:59
Author: NYC6001

Fascinating to read the complete arrogance and stupidity of the city officials. Thank God for the doctrine of pre-emption and the Supremacy Clause. These city officials have no concern for the energy needs of the rest of the nation, no thought for the Constitution (it was written to end such squabbling), and no understanding of the strategic importance of the Twin Cities to the rest of the nation.

The industrial base of a city is part of its beauty! How can you support everything else? From fishing permits and taxes?

Date: 09/20/14 09:10
Author: inCHI

Fascinating to read the complete oversight of real, significant concerns with the construction that CP is doing. They aren't simply extending a few tracks; it reads as though they are going to fill in wetlands without replacing them. I'm not an expert on the subject, but there are certainly plenty of cases where the loss of wetlands has significant environmental impact, including the loss of a natural barrier to flooding.

Date: 09/20/14 10:13
Author: SeaboardMan

There will be twice the wetlands after it's all said and done. A two for one requirement, size wise.

Date: 09/20/14 16:27
Author: coach

Wetlands are not so easily "rebuilt"--we're talking about eons of slow creation. I think it's terribly arrogant to just "cover them up" and pay into a "fee bank."

Beyond that, Federal law is there to prevent 1 thing that is so prevalent today: "Me--me, me, me!!" NIMBYism. It's a disease. It's everywhere. It's killing our nation.

Once again, our forefathers, over 200 years ago, were very intelligent, educated and visionary men. I appreciate them more and more every single year I live in this country.

Date: 09/20/14 22:01
Author: PumpkinHogger

If Hunter can get away with being a bad neighbor in Canada, he'll sure do the same here. CP corporate attitude with the public seems to be that of a belligerent drunk at a bar, stepping on toes and laughing at you for being in the way. Andy Cummings must be very busy.

Date: 09/21/14 14:27
Author: ns1000

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wetlands are not so easily "rebuilt"--we're
> talking about eons of slow creation. I think it's
> terribly arrogant to just "cover them up" and pay
> into a "fee bank."
>
> Beyond that, Federal law is there to prevent 1
> thing that is so prevalent today: "Me--me, me,
> me!!" NIMBYism. It's a disease. It's
> everywhere. It's killing our nation.
>
> Once again, our forefathers, over 200 years ago,
> were very intelligent, educated and visionary men.
> I appreciate them more and more every single year
> I live in this country.

It will be OK.......Our government will take care of everything......!!!!!??????

Date: 09/21/14 19:34
Author: TheGrande

"...the Dunn Yard, the switching area between Hwy. 61 and the river was built in the 1950s and is not designed for today’s longer trains. The yard’s arrival tracks are now 7,000 feet long, and will be lengthened to 10,000 feet."

Well maybe we shouldn't be running these monsters. Especially when most of the ex/ SOO can't handle them.

Date: 09/23/14 16:15
Author: NYC6001

I know many of the younger folks on here are environmentally aware people. That's great, but environmentalism is not simply an exercise in "Don't build that here!" Running 10,000 foot trains has a way of reducing impacts on the environment in its own way. They are often run with three highly efficient engines vs. two 5000' trains with two engines apiece. They take trucks off the highway. Railroads let the ground "breath" and soak in a little moisture. Concrete does not.

Look around a railyard these days. It is a virtual nature preserve, because railroads keep mowing and spraying to an absolute minimum, and there is an entire food chain from birds and insects to amphibians, foxes and coyotes, thanks to the spilled grain.

Upgrading the CP yard is good for the entire nation. We need domestic oil and grain which moves through Sr. Paul. A lot of people in city government these days would rather cater to tourism than anything else. You can't just fill your city with coffee shops, craft breweries, bicycles, colleges and sports franchises. Something has to support them, and that is industry.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0562 seconds