Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Bliss

Date: 09/20/14 12:33
Bliss
Author: funnelfan

Like any job, you have your good days and you have your bad days. But as a engineer for a eastern Washington shortline, there are days where I feel I have the best job in the world. It's a never a perfect world, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else on days like those. Yesterday was one such day, running two SD40-2's with 43 loads of grain in tow heading east with the setting sun in my mirror. Guiding my train between hills of cutover wheat fields past rustic farm houses and faded red barns. The echo of my horn reverberating off grain elevators that mark the location of the many small hamlets along the tracks. The responsive SD40-2's are just so well suited to gingerly tugging the 5600 tons of train around the 8 degree curves and moderate grades in the vastness of the Columbia Basin. I've run, and still run much of the big modern power, but I will take my "40's" over them any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Oh, and to work for a management that isn't trying to micro manage how much air you use, or what throttle notch you can go up to, and is absolutely joyful that you can deliver train after train safely and without incident.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 09/20/14 12:42
Re: Bliss
Author: mojaveflyer

Thoughtful message and a great photo, Ted!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 09/20/14 12:58
Author: tomstp

And the last part, so doggone true!

Date: 09/20/14 14:02
Author: CimaScrambler

Nice work.

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 09/20/14 14:07
Author: TopDog

Talk about tooting your own horn, wow!

Date: 09/20/14 14:14
Author: mwarfel

Thanks, Ted, for allowing us non-RR foamers to enjoy your experiences vicariously!! If you ever plan to be in Renton, let me know, for I would love to hear more stories over adult beverages at the Whistle Stop!

Date: 09/20/14 15:37
Author: 3rdswitch

Sounds just like working for Santa Fe preBNSF. Great days in the seat.
JB

Date: 09/20/14 16:05
Author: nycman

Thanks for that, Ted. Hope to see you out on steam trips again.

Date: 09/20/14 16:15
Author: stlrailfan

Ted,
I 100% echo what you say!! give me my SD40-2 on my shortline where I don't have someone watching our every move. Great thoughts Ted.
Mark Mautner
Port Harbor RR

Date: 09/20/14 16:48
Author: Ritzville

Nice pictures Ted! That's why I'm happily retired from all the micro management I went thru on MTS rail in San Diego. Cameras everywhere watching your every move in and outside the cab and FRA out with radar guns along with the CPUC. You're lucky to be at such ease on your line, it was like that in old days.

Larry

Date: 09/20/14 17:20
Author: coach

Love that poppin' green engine!!!

Date: 09/21/14 05:53
Author: rfprr1

Talked to an old NS engineer several years ago who echoed your sentiments.
He said put an AC unit on top of an SD40-2 and you have the perfect engine.

Nice shot and commentary.

rfprr

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.066 seconds