Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Western Railroad Discussion >

Date: 09/28/14 09:02

Author: santafe199

Neil Diamond sang: “September morn’, we danced until the night became a brand new day*…” Ok, so it’s a bit of a stretch, connecting those lyrics to these signal photos. Unless you have a romantic soul underneath that railfan crust. With just a bit of imagination, these two opposing signals on the Union Pacific mainline at 5th St. in Manhattan, KS seem entwined in a double dance reflected in that puddle of dead calm water.

It’s Labor Day, the first day of September and I’m on an early morning errand. Once that was accomplished, I took the usual look-see tour of the KP (Topeka-Denver) main through my hometown, Manhattan. Bright morning sunshine, mirror-glass reflection in the flat calm water AND a camera in my hands? You bet! The so-called “romance of the rails” is where ever you can find it. Sometimes you have to look a little closer…

1. Looking west at the 5th St signals in Manhattan, KS

2. Looking east at the same.
(2 photos taken on the very 1st September Morn’ of 2014)

Thanks for humming along!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

*September Morn’ was a #17 hit for Neil Diamond in early 1980. The tune broke into Billboard’s Top-40 on January 19 and ran 10 weeks on the chart.

Date: 09/28/14 09:07

Author: oklachaser

Great photos Lance. Especially photo #1.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 09/28/14 09:45

Author: trainpixsnet

Very nice shots Lance, really like #2

Nathan Chidester
Olathe, KS
The TrainPixs Network

Date: 09/28/14 12:31

Author: Rathole

I recall my first trip out west in 1976 when I saw those Union Pacific US&S signals with the big snow hoods in person for the first time. I always liked (and still do like) the looks of those.

Date: 09/28/14 14:12

Author: SCKP187

Nice group Lance--wish the KP was a little busier so they would be lit up more.
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/28/14 16:24

Author: ns1000

VERY NICE...!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0857 seconds