Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sacramento FC Stadium Site: Railyards?

Date: 10/07/14 16:04
Sacramento FC Stadium Site: Railyards?
Author: bnsfsd70

Hi there,
I've seen a number of reports that Sacramento FC has chosen a new stadium site that is referred to as the "Railyards." As one who's never been to CA, would anyone from that end of the world be able to talk about the site from a railfan's perspective? I'm assuming its an ex-SP site, though I could be wrong. What had been there, and what does it look like now?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/09/18/sacramento-republic-fc-continues-push-mls-franchise-selecting-stadium-site

Thanks a lot,
Jeff Carlson

Date: 10/07/14 16:16
Re: Sacramento FC Stadium Site: Railyards?
Author: sphauler

Date: 10/07/14 16:19
Author: callum_out

Jeff,
Indeed it was the SP downtown yard and main shops facility. What's left are two large buildings
which are at some point supposed to be part of museum's diesel technology exhibit. The main track
is to the South of the buildings and is being straightened at some point to remove a sharp curve
in the area of the present station. As to what remains other than the metal buildings is a large
remediated site with some piles of dirt and a track which accommodated the dirty dirt cars. Let's
just say that the artist's conception of what's coming is going to take a whole bunch of labor
and money.

Out

Date: 10/07/14 16:20
Author: J.Ferris

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi there,
> I've seen a number of reports that Sacramento FC
> has chosen a new stadium site that is referred to
> as the "Railyards." As one who's never been to
> CA, would anyone from that end of the world be
> able to talk about the site from a railfan's
> perspective? I'm assuming its an ex-SP site,
> though I could be wrong. What had been there, and
> what does it look like now?
>
> http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/09/18/s
> acramento-republic-fc-continues-push-mls-franchise
> -selecting-stadium-site
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Jeff Carlson

Jeff,

The site of the former SP Shops complex. From both the article and from the Sacramento FC page, the renderings seem to discount some things especially the historic buildings in the stadiums path.

J.

Date: 10/07/14 19:47

Thanks for the info, guys. From the google image, it certainly does look like there's a LOT of work to do to the site to make it look like the rendering. For whatever it's worth, one of the keys to the site's location according to the team and MLS (I know, they're not in MLS... yet) is the proximity to public transit, with the light rail and Amtrak being nearby.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 10/08/14 07:17
Author: Torisgod

Here are some photos of the "Railyards" site, taken from a train stopped at the Sacramento depot. On the side facing the station, they are mostly ex-SP shops and sheds.

Tor in Eugene

Date: 10/08/14 13:18
Author: kingman

yeah thats what this country needs another stadium for overpaid jocks .

Date: 10/08/14 20:52
Author: Coguy

Looking at the map. I can tell you all the signal lights have been installed and from the looks of it thay stadium would right were the SP shops are. I hope im wrong or that maps wrong. It wont be until the year 2020 when the tracks can be straightened. New bridge suppose to be built for car and rail traffic.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/09/14 12:23

kingman Wrote:
> yeah thats what this country needs another stadium
> for overpaid jocks .

Well, compared to the other major sports in North America, MLS' salaries are respectably tame, esp. for the younger/reserve players. The numbers from the Union can be found here:

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/April%201,%202014%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

So far as stadium financing goes, a Sacramento Bee article ( http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/17/6715747/sacramento-republic-fc-releases.html#storylink=cpy ) has the following to say on the subject: "Questions remain over how the stadium will be financed. Mayor Kevin Johnson has said no city money will be used to help build the facility. Nagle has said the Republic FC investor group will have the capacity to pay for the stadium, plus a league expansion fee of at least $70 million."

I hope this helps,
- Jeff Carlson

Date: 10/09/14 12:25

Coguy Wrote:
> It wont be
> until the year 2020 when the tracks can be
> straightened.

So, why won't the tracks be able to be straightened until 2020?

Thanks,
Jeff Carlson

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0849 seconds