Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Explain WSOR's Sauk City Branch

Date: 10/12/14 10:59
Explain WSOR's Sauk City Branch
Author: sagehen

I'm from California and visiting my daughter in Wisconsin and have a question: What's the deal with the Sauk City Branch? It appears to be an ex-CMStP&P branch off its Prairie du Chien line that runs through Sauk City and Prairie du Sac, WI and onto the abandoned Badger military facility. It still shows on WSOR's map and the rails are, for the most part, still there. The first couple of miles are used for car storage, but most of the branch, as you can see, may not be abandoned but has certainly been out of service for more than a couple of decades.

Why isn't it abandoned and the rails taken up?

Stan Praisewater

Date: 10/12/14 15:43
Re: Explain WSOR's Sauk City Branch
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Which part has the rails missing ?

Date: 10/12/14 16:16
Author: sagehen

A few street crossings in Sauk City have had the rails and ties removed as panels and set on nearby rails.

SP

Date: 10/12/14 16:33
Author: dcmkris

Stan,

While I have no first hand knowledge of this line it sure sounds like it was rail banked for possible future use.
Many railroads and even local government officials it seems have learned that as long as the rails are still there
no matter how long unused its much easier to reactivate them.

CN reactivated a WC line near Ladysmith, WI in 2012/13 for frac sand. There are some pics at this persons flickr account
http://www.flickr.com/photos/view2share ... 983162406/

Also in Wisconsin there is a former I think C&NW line that was just reactivated by CN this year I think for access to a
sand facility. I recall reading that the last trains were perhaps in the 80's and that many mentioned that had it not
been for the rails still in place the project would have never happened.

Kris

Date: 10/12/14 17:16
Author: ghemr

The bridge over the Wisconsin River on this particular line is gone---hence I believe it couldn't access the former munition plant anyways.....

Date: 10/12/14 18:01
Author: chico

Actually the bridge in Sauk City over the WI River is out of service, on purpose, as WI DOT removed a section a few years ago to insure it wouldn't be reused until necessary repairs were/are made due to the river scouring of the bridge abutments. From the other end of the line, via Badger Ordinance, connection is made with the ex CNW now WSOR Reedsburg sub, which was how until recent times the WSOR would serve Prairie Co op, just east of Prairie du Sac. Just the trip through Badger property took 30-45 min to get through! But no more.

And, Because repairs (again River scouring) of the Merrimack bridge upstream (CNW) need to be done, there is reluctance to completely remove the bridge in Prairie du Sac either for future rail or bike path over the river, kind of a way of hedging their bets and keeping options open for continued freight rail service on that side of the river. Remember, not far away, in the Madison area, another stretch of ex mainline rail that sat unused with weeds and trees growing through the ties and rails since 1997 is now seeing active service on a regular basis after being cleaned up. So, who knows?

Meanwhile, trail enthusiasts would love to have the roadbed from the river down to Mazomanie.

I was just over these tracks tonight wondering what was up too, good timing on this post!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds