Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Question about KCT Mill St. Yard

Date: 10/20/14 14:27
Question about KCT Mill St. Yard
Author: Lee_in_KC

Happened to be in the neighborhood around KCT Mill St. yard and noticed it was quite busy. I started wondering under what circumstances rail cars end up in that yard. It appears there are a few rail customers west of the yard, but most of KCT's activity is to the east, so I'm guessing quite a few cars are pulled into the yard from the east for classification or blocking and then sent back east again?

Date: 10/20/14 16:10
Re: Question about KCT Mill St. Yard
Author: imrl

One of our members on this site works out of that yard so I'm sure he'll chime in. But, the only way into and out of the yard is from the east. From there, there several transfers to UP's Neff Yard, KCS's Knoche Yard and to UP's Armourdale Yard. I'm sure they also interchange with the BNSF but I don't know if it's at Murray Yard or Argentine or even both. They may also interchange with the NS. Hopefully Mr. UPTrain will chime in.

Date: 10/20/14 19:04
Author: Lee_in_KC

Yeah, I'm hoping Pump will fill us in...

Date: 10/20/14 20:38
Author: bnsfsd70

Don't forget the number of on-line industries that the KCT serves. There are many industries around Mill St., near Santa Fe Jct., Sheffield Jct., and up near the NS Avondale Yard. There's also the branch (Kearney?) that heads north along the NS/CP near Birmingham.

This is all in addition to the aforementioned transfers from railroad to railroad. Here's the old KCT #79 working the east end of Mill St. back in July.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 10/20/14 21:51
Author: bnsfsd70

imrl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sure they also interchange with the BNSF but I
> don't know if it's at Murray Yard or Argentine or
> even both.

Argentine. They come off the bridge at SF Jct., hang a right, and then wait for ungodly amounts of time to get in/out of Argentine.

> They may also interchange with the NS.

Sure enough, they run up to the NS.

- Jeff

Date: 10/20/14 23:34
Author: SD70M

I was at Santa Fe Jct on Memorial day. KCT wanted to run a transfer into Argentine, but the DS said forget it- so the wait must sometimes be more than a few hours. Unsurprisingly, like much of the BNSF nowadays, Argentine was totally plugged.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1421 seconds