Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Not Really a "Rare" Find, But...

Date: 10/22/14 16:59
Not Really a "Rare" Find, But...
Author: tronarail

Yesterday, (10/21) as I was driving to work, I decided to use Norris Road (and a couple of other streets) to access the 99 freeway. It was overcast and just about 7:00 AM when I noticed 6 or 7 freight cars sitting on the SJVRR Oildale Branch. I normally would drive on, but my attention was quickly diverted to one of the freight cars. I couldn't believe what I had seen, so I made a 'U' turn, went by the cars again, and confirmed what I had seen. Another 'U' turn, and I parked. I snapped the following shots from my cell phone, so I hope they'll come out alright in this venue.

Photo #1: Taken from the north side of Norris Road. The "SP Lines" decal is visible here although the overcast prevented me from getting a better shot.
Photo #2: Taken from the south side of the gondola.The "SP Lines" decal shows some damage.

As I said, the overcast skies prevented better shots, and while freight cars still in "SP" paint are not rare, I felt that this one deserved some recognition. I had five more photos, but held them back for now. I cannot remember the last time I saw an "SP Lines" decal on any SP rolling stock. As an added note, next to the SP gondola was an MP gondola, followed by a CNW gondola. How ironic to find the three roads that UP gobbled up still showing their individuality.

Date: 10/22/14 17:28
Re: Not Really a "Rare" Find, But...
Author: ButteStBrakeman

If I'm not mistaken, it is still called the "Oil City" branch.

Date: 10/22/14 18:38
Author: rrpreservation

Not a rare find, but certainly a rarer find! Thanks for sharing!

Date: 10/22/14 23:58
Author: dan

image protection series

Date: 10/23/14 00:53
Author: SP_8299

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> image protection series

Not quite. These were delivered to the SP before the UP takeover; built by Thrall for SP in 1996, 200 cars of the G-100-37 class. They were the last new gondolas bought by SP, and wore Sunset logos as a last bit of corporate pride (along with some of SP's last new boxcars from Gunderson), and have nothing to do with UP or trademark protection.

http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/spcars/byclass/gon/g100-37.htm

Date: 10/23/14 01:20
Author: railwaybaron

It works for me!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds