Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Phoenix Area Questions

Date: 10/25/14 18:54
Phoenix Area Questions
Author: karen9924

This pas weekend, I had the chance to visit Phoenix and the city of Tempe. I found the old Union Station in Phoenix and the depot in Tempe (now used as Macayo's Depot Cantina). The question is . . . what railroad was I looking at? Part of it paralleled the Metro light rail tracks across the Salt River, and there was a small yard in Phoenix.

Date: 10/25/14 19:58
Re: Phoenix Area Questions
Author: livesteamer

Espee?

Posted from Android

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 10/25/14 20:22
Author: MAP1024

You were looking at the former SP, now Union Pacific's Phoenix line from downtown Phoenix to Tempe, Mesa, East Valley to Magma Jct then south to Picacho Jct with the UPRR Sunset Mainline.

The UPRR and Metro light rail have parallel mainlines and bridges across the Salt River (aka Tempe Town Lake)

Cheers,
MAPAZ

Date: 10/26/14 06:46
Author: railstiesballast

I think the Santa Fe used the same Phoenix depot, their line heads northwest through Glendale enroute to California (via Parker, now A&C) and to Williams Jct. and the Transcon.

Date: 10/26/14 11:04
Author: mococomike

Correct Santa Fe used Union Station downtown Phoenix with the SP.

Date: 10/26/14 11:22
Author: callum_out

Santa Fe just didn't quite make it to Tempe.

Out

Date: 10/26/14 12:26
Author: karen9924

That's it exactly. The trestles over the river, the light rail, and the station in Phoenix. I thought that Amtrak ran through there, but it looks like it stops further south in Glendale?

Date: 10/26/14 13:45
Author: callum_out

No, Glendale is West of Phoenix, Amtrak stops down in Maricopa.

Out

Date: 10/26/14 21:48
Author: BCHellman

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Santa Fe just didn't quite make it to Tempe.

Actually it did. The Phoenix and Eastern Railroad, part of the Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix, which was part of the Santa Fe, operated between Phoenix, Florence and Winkelman via Tempe. The Phoenix and Eastern was sold to the Arizona Eastern (SP) in 1907.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds