Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Crude Oil transfer facility at Joliet IL

Date: 10/29/14 19:17
Crude Oil transfer facility at Joliet IL
Author: dt8089

Construction is well underway at Center Point Joliet facility (North of UP's Global 4 or J.I.T. (Joliet Intermodal Terminal). This facility will have a capacity to unload up to three trains a day.
http://centerpoint.com/news/index.aspx
According to news releases CN and BNSF will access this facility via their own lines. CN will come in via their line to Plaines IL as will the BNSF From their line along the river. Rough grading has started for the connections but its hard to tell where exactly the track will lie. Track laying has already begun inside the facility. Image one shows the pipe racks being erected. Image two is looking southeast from Patterson Road. The straddle cranes in the background are UP's Global 4 facility across Laraway Road. Image three is looking west along the old GM&O Pequot main just east of Brandon Road. That's the Plaines powerplant in the background soon to be converted over to natural gas. Anyone have additional info on this facility is welcomed to post it here. Thanks. Dan Tracy

Date: 10/29/14 19:27
Re: Crude Oil transfer facility at Joliet IL
Author: PHall

So where does the oil go after they unload it from the train?

Date: 10/29/14 19:29
Author: bnsfsd70

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard anything of this facility.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 10/29/14 20:04

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So where does the oil go after they unload it from
> the train?

Mobil Joliet refinery. Dan

Date: 10/30/14 10:26
Author: bradleymckay

I believe UP has trackage rights into the facility via BNSF if necessary. This would allow a shipper, located on UP, direct access without interchanging trains between UP and BNSF.

Allen

Date: 10/30/14 19:40
Author: calumet

Thanks for the photos but if I understand you correctly, isn't it UP rather than CN? CN's ownership of the ex-GM&O ends at a point about a mile north of Joliet station. But the Centerpoint facility is south of there isn't it? So at that point the tracks belong to UP.

Date: 11/02/14 12:17

CN still owns half of South Joliet yard although it hasn't been used in years and also retains ownership of the Pequot main to Plaines. When the ICG sold this line to the CM&W in 1987 they retained trackage rights through Joliet to serve the Plaines powerplant. These rights are still in effect today so yes UP owns the trackage from Jackson Street to South Joliet yard but CN's rights still remain. Dan

Date: 12/08/18 00:32
Author: commissioner

My apologies for reserructing an old thread but how does BNSF have access to this terminal, only way that I see on Google Earth is the connection to the power plant right by it. TIA

Mark Kennebeck
Saint Paul, MN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds