Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > La Crosse, WI - Changes have begun

Date: 11/16/14 17:00
La Crosse, WI - Changes have begun
Author: pyroman

Fall departed before October could close out the month and high winds on Halloween night stripped what most of the remaining leaves. November 1 started rather cold and with the temperature drop the rail breaks/pull-apart season started. BNSF 9226 looking a bit worn slowly pulled to a stop at Genoa to wait on some MOW checking on some rail issues. Made for an easy trip down to Victory for another slow roll-by. Yes would have been nice to have the new guy in the lead but as it was all EMD and no GE - I'll take what I get.

Re: La Crosse, WI - Changes have begun

The stack of the Genoa G3 station steams away in the brisk air as the 9226 rounds the curve. Lighting had swung over the tracks but I figured on one last shot at the Desoto searchlights since they will not be around much longer. Note the survey marker on the other side of the track - a sign of things to come.

Back to Victory and what is they oh yeah, a stack train. I remember them they used to run here before the black gold started flowing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/14 17:06 by pyroman.

With weather gods not looking friendly I figured I better to work on getting the Christmas stuff hung on the house so spend the next weekend doing that - by Monday the ground was white. Saturday afternoon finds the 7418 waiting at 298 detector for traffic to start west again as snow begins to fall again. Eastbound 7163 heads south making noise as they roll past crews working to install cables and equipment sheds - the changes have begun.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/14 17:22 by pyroman.

Date: 11/16/14 17:01

South of Stoddard about milepost 285.2 we find a new equipment shed. Down at Genoa the new detector in front of the power plant is almost done and survey marking have marked out the new crossover.

Back at La Crosse we find some new signal bridges getting built at the staging area next to the old Q station. Hundreds of storage contains are on the ground stretching from the old roundhouse area here on back through the MOW area. With winter here most work will likely be of the cable and side work, but once spring hits in March the dirt is really going to start flying!

- 4 Miles of new 2nd main from Graf to Grand Crossing including 2 sets of crossovers
- Numerous double crossovers along the entire line from Savanna - St Croix with CTC and replacement of the Q-searchlights

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/14 17:21 by pyroman.

Date: 11/16/14 18:02
Author: commissioner

Thanks for the update pyroman! Are they going to put a second main in anywhere else along the line between Chicago and St Paul or just the part between Graf and Grand Crossing? TIA

Date: 11/16/14 21:44
Author: 3rdswitch

They do look cold, makes me shiver. Haven't taken a shot since the cold started here, eleven outside right now.
JB

Date: 11/17/14 08:12
Author: ntharalson

commissioner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the update pyroman! Are they going to
> put a second main in anywhere else along the line
> between Chicago and St Paul or just the part
> between Graf and Grand Crossing? TIA

I was told elimination of the single track on the
St. Croix Sub was on the agenda, but don't ask me
when.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion,IA

Date: 11/17/14 15:17

On the St Croix single track is the bridge over the Chippewa and then the Winona Jct to CP 3236 "the milepost" section. Aurora signal track is the WI river old bridge still there but sinking so I have hear. Also short bit of single track at Galena Jct. East of Savanna is mostly single track / CTC but they have extending siding in the plan with one done not that long ago. Since home base for me is La Crosse most of what I pay attention to is the tracks along the river. Looks like the new crossover at 307.2 north of the yard is coming along (did not have camera).

Date: 11/17/14 15:30
Author: commissioner

Thanks for the replies and update Nick and Pyroman!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/14 15:32 by commissioner.

Date: 11/17/14 16:06
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0619 seconds