Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > signal bridge north of Mojave may be removed today

Date: 11/17/14 09:31
signal bridge north of Mojave may be removed today
Author: Harlock

This morning driving into work I saw a large crane parked at the signal bridge, and crews are everywhere around Mojave putting other new signals into place. I think today might be the day. There have been modern signals laying on the ground next to it for a couple of years now (!) not sure what took them so long to complete the process from when they originally brought the new signals in.

-M

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 11/17/14 09:49
Re: signal bridge north of Mojave may be removed today
Author: iliketrains

Sad.

Date: 11/17/14 09:58
Author: NightCoast

Done. CTC in effect on both main tracks between Tehachapi and South Mojave. Signal system between South Mojave and Tehachapi temporarily suspended as crews conduct necessary tests and align new signal heads for proper visibility. Second crossover at Cameron not yet in place.

Date: 11/17/14 10:34
Author: andrewamtrak

Here ya go

Date: 11/17/14 12:07
Author: Cajon92

Can confirm. The bridge is down on the ground and being cut into pieces.

New signals, as already mentioned, are going online as well as DT CTC. They are testing them now.

~Ryan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/17/14 12:43
Author: David.Curlee

Cajon92 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can confirm. The bridge is down on the ground and
> being cut into pieces.
>
> New signals, as already mentioned, are going
> online as well as DT CTC. They are testing them
> now.

I'm nitpicking, sorry.

There's no such thing as DT CTC, you mean 2MT CTC. Double Track or "DT" on the railroad is generally associated with a current of traffic and ABS signalling.

Date: 11/17/14 13:53

Drove by at lunch again and saw them cutting up the mangled wreck on the ground.

The new signals at the yard and north of town look very nice. Many of them are still pointed perpendicular to the track / out of use. I assume they will be aligning them soon as per bulletin above.

There is also a new small radio tower presumably used to communicate with the signals or home base? Is the new system predominately wireless except for power or does it re-use signal cable along the track.

The biggest concentration of new stuff is around the Jawbone branch junction point.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 11/17/14 13:57
Author: daniel3197

Thank you VERY much for the first-hand report that the
Tehacapi searchlight signal era is almost totally gone.
I believe that on the west side Kern Jct to Sandcut is still ABS DT for now.
We will hopefully see ops improvement with 2MT CTC on Tehachapi.
Thank you all again for the first-hand reports on this very historic day for Tehachapi.
--- Daniel

Date: 11/17/14 14:12
Author: ShastaDaylight

Another classic part of the SP (and Santa Fe) passes from the scene... I've spent many an hour at MP 377 framing photos with that signal bridge; it is sad to see it go. Given all of the interest on the target/searchlight signals, it is a wonder UP doesn't salvage the signals themselves (minus to signal masts, bridges, etc.) and sell them to railfans. I'd love to have one in front of my home... Just a thought as yet another landmark from my youth and RR career fades into history...

ShastaDaylight

Date: 11/17/14 14:33
Author: andrewamtrak

Apparently somebody did ask to have one saved and a supervisor said yes, but appparently the memo didnt get to the crew from what i heard.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/18/14 09:57

This morning on my way in they were scooping the remnants into a scrap metal truck trailer....all gone....

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0591 seconds