Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > N&W Heritage Comes to KC on "Home" Rails

Date: 11/18/14 08:33
N&W Heritage Comes to KC on "Home" Rails
Author: bnsfsd70

Kansas City has hosted a large number of railroads in its history, and from 1964-1982, the Norfolk & Western was one of them, by virtue of its merger with the Wabash. Last night, a handful of railfans turned up in the COLD November weather to photograph the train coming into the city on the head end of train #297 from Decatur, IL. This train was running down the ex-Wabash/N&W main, and after making a setout at Voltz Yard, it would continue on to UP's ex-RI Armourdale Yard in KCK.

Photo 1: We first shot it on the move up near the caves to the west of Birmingham.

Photos 2-3: Parked at 10th St. in North KC while waiting for its turn across the bridge.

It was cold, but worth it to catch this one for the first time.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 11/18/14 10:39
Re: N&W Heritage Comes to KC on "Home" Rails
Author: JMorhaus

Nice shots Jeff! Glad I could help.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/18/14 11:59
Author: bnsfsd70

JMorhaus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shots Jeff! Glad I could help.

Yup, thanks again! While its good to hear reports of things heading our way, nothing quite beats photographic proof of it, along with realtime updates along the way.

Thanks!
- Jeff

Date: 11/18/14 14:48
Author: trainpixsnet

Nice shots Jeff!

I went all the way to CA Jct. yesterday, hoping to catch it in the light, but with no luck. Decided to lick my wounds and go railfanning at Santa Fe Jct. Upon seeing your post, last night, around 11:45pm on Facebook---that the train was at 10th Street---I was about to leave leave the "J" to go over there when a diverging yellow signal, in which the NS traffic uses to cross over the Kansas River on the lower section of the Kaw River Bridge, I then quickly had a ray of hope, a few minutes later, was able to see her. Though, with the lack of any good light in the area, wasn't able to get a shot---but I at least got to see it!

Nathan Chidester
Olathe, KS
The TrainPixs Network

Date: 11/18/14 14:49
Author: SCKP187

Super stuff Jeff. I like the shots very much and the fact it is on its own former rails is something. Here's hopeing it will be one of those Armourdale-Englewood auto-racks that runs south on the Coffeyville Sub.
Brian Stevens

Date: 11/19/14 05:57
Author: JMorhaus

You should of went a little further east, I last shot it in Salisbury, MO just about 35 miles west Moberly.

trainpixsnet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shots Jeff!
>
> I went all the way to CA Jct. yesterday, hoping to
> catch it in the light, but with no luck. Decided
> to lick my wounds and go railfanning at Santa Fe
> Jct. Upon seeing your post, last night, around
> 11:45pm on Facebook---that the train was at 10th
> Street---I was about to leave leave the "J" to go
> over there when a diverging yellow signal, in
> which the NS traffic uses to cross over the Kansas
> River on the lower section of the Kaw River
> Bridge, I then quickly had a ray of hope, a few
> minutes later, was able to see her. Though, with
> the lack of any good light in the area, wasn't
> able to get a shot---but I at least got to see it!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds