Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Signal at Mott Road

Date: 11/19/14 20:41
Signal at Mott Road
Author: jkinzel

I'm hoping Robert Morris can answer this question for me: This signal is located at Mott Rd. just north of Dunsmuir, CA. I assume it's purpose is to inform crews of the steep grade going down the canyon into Dunsmuir. I have observed it a couple of times and if memory serves me right, it is dark until a train approaches and then flashes white, but I never noticed if it went dark after the train passed or stayed on until the train cleared the next block or two.

Thank you,

John

Date: 11/19/14 21:02
Re: Signal at Mott Road
Author: SCAX3401

This is from the Union Pacific Roseville Area Timetable, Black Butte Subdivision.

Mott: Flashing white light on mast MP 331.5 will
be illuminated for southward trains on main track
when southward Absolute signal at south end Mott
displays Clear or Approach.

I assume its so a southward train doesn't start down the steep descent and then find itself facing a red signal.

Date: 11/19/14 21:23

Rick, Makes sense, thank you very much.

Regards, John

Date: 11/19/14 22:00
Author: porkchop

was this an SP installation? hardware doesn't look like that of a recent design

Date: 11/19/14 22:10
Author: gonx

I believe that the purpose of this signal is to encourage trains to stop short of the grade x-ing; thus allowing the road to remain open for motorists. The signal will then alert crews when they got the signal to go west (south).

Date: 11/19/14 22:54
Author: photobob

I think that signal is no longer with us.They now have a set of signals a little ways south of where the Mott-Azalea lap siding was and the trains hold there going south instead of further down near the Mott Road crossing where the south switch signal is out of view.

Date: 11/20/14 12:38
Author: spnudge

When Bob Miller was promoted to the RFE in Dunsmuir, he had first hand knowledge about the problems with these hidden signals because he worked the area as an engineer.

He had the SP install a westbound one at Mott as shown and one down at Small. At Small, that "A" signal was really hidden around the left hand curve. A lot of times the head man would walk down and be able to see it. The only times these "Blinkers" would come on was when the signals were showing either a yellow or green indication. A great improvement. He was also the one that had "G" plates installed on some heavy up hill grades to KF & Ashland. They went south when they came out with a new rule book that left out the provision.

Nudge

Date: 11/20/14 13:05
Author: RyanWilkerson

I miss that tall lunar. Was always exciting to see it flashing...a train was close.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 11/20/14 20:40

Thanks everyone. Too bad it's gone, I'm glad I took photos when I was there.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1478 seconds