Home Open Account Help 206 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Signal Sunday: Still 'searching' at Eudora

Date: 12/14/14 20:56
Signal Sunday: Still 'searching' at Eudora
Author: santafe199

On my way to the KC Roundtable dinner back on the 4th I stopped in Eudora, KS to see if an old friend was still amongst the living. I first remember seeing this graceful cantilever signal 40 years ago (summer of ‘74) while totin’ switch ties & drivin’ spikes for the Santa Fe all over the Kansas City area. It would be 2 years yet, before I would pick up a railfan camera. But I remember thinking back then how graceful this hunk o’ iron looked. How many days are left?

I wonder…

1. BNSF 7056 on an EB stacker at Eudora, KS on December 4, 2014.

Thanks for keeping watch!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 12/14/14 22:48
Re: Signal Sunday: Still 'searching' at Eudora
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE! Glad it's still in service.

Larry

Date: 12/17/14 21:19
Author: factorone33

It'll be interesting to see how long BNSF keeps all the old ATSF signal infrastructure in place on the Topeka Sub now that most of it is gone on the Emporia Sub (and now that they're upgrading the signal systems for KCT in the KC area as well).

Date: 12/18/14 06:32
Author: ddg

I don't care now, but when I was still working, I thought it would be great if they would CTC the Topeka sub, extend the sidings at Osage City, and maybe Lawrence or Desoto so they could meet the long trains they are running, and get away from the ABS & Track Warrants. The old signal system they continue to patch up belongs in a museum somewhere, and it was rare to make a trip across there without some kind of signal trouble. They seem to use it everyday, but don't want to make a real railroad out of it.

Date: 12/23/14 20:28
Author: factorone33

Yeah, I get the impression they'd like to upgrade both the Topeka and La Junta Subs to allow for more traffic to flow up through those corridors and relieve some of the pressure on the Emporia Sub, but I also feel like they're holding out for some money from either the Feds, the state of Kansas, or both (which they got for the La Junta Sub already partially because of AmTrak). If you ink the ABS/TWC on the Topeka a sub is bad, you should check out the ABS/TWC they have in place from Dodge City west to Las Animas.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0323 seconds