Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Back to the Past---SP Steam

Date: 12/19/14 14:24
Back to the Past---SP Steam
Author: Barstool

One of the real work horse's on the Western division were the MT's, these engines were always reliable. Be it road power for freight or passenger and even helper service thru Atamont Pass, you could count on them....In this shot, the date is March 16 1952 and the 4336 with the XAP is rolling thru Martinez and is wasting no time on her way to the grade and the bridge....the MT's were good engines, not one ever stalled on the east or west side of the bridge at Martinez....

Date: 12/19/14 16:02
Re: Back to the Past---SP Steam
Author: rev66vette

Nice photo.

Date: 12/19/14 16:40
Author: Notch16

It's kinetic, this image. Exciting. I stood there daily, maybe sixteen years later, watching ALCo Centuries and worn-out F-units make that same dramatic charge up to the Bridge.

I wasn't born until a few months later than this date. But this just makes the blood race, even looking at nothing larger than a tiny digital image, lit up on a piece of glass in my hand. Wow.

I want to go to that place. Now. :-)

~ BZ

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/19/14 18:33
Author: atsf121

Great photo, I remember those buildings in the background when I was kid some 30+ years later.

Nathan

Date: 12/19/14 21:09
Author: BCHellman

Barstool Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> .In this shot,
> the date is March 16 1952 and the 4336 with the
> XAP

If I recall the XAP would be auto parts. I would have thought the XAP would be westward. I don't have my condensed schedule with me on the road to check.

Date: 12/19/14 21:44
Author: Barstool

The XAP was completed auto from the GM plant in east Oakland....The train ran as one section Monday thru Wed. but Thursday and Friday it could be up to three sections.....the train was filled out at Port costa and was some times doubled headed and some times Port costa would add a 2-8-0 on the rear to keep this train moving....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0753 seconds